Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Tomato branches drooping and some twisting

Posted by z5gardener none (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 18, 12 at 9:58

I'm not sure what is going on with these tomato plants. It seems to be effecting 6 out of 8 of my Amish paste. I also have 2 other types of Romas and Big Boys that are all very healthy and vibrant and are not showing any symptoms. I noticed this probably last Wed or Thur. There is no yellowing or browning on any of the leaves. It has gotten a bit worse as more branches are effected. The main stem is still very firm. The weather has been droughtish here. I can stick my finger into the soil beneath the mulch and it is moist, not wet. They do not seem to perk up when I water them or at night. Any input is appreciated.

Here is a link that might be useful: picture and there are more in the album

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Tomato branches drooping and some twisting

Mine have done the same thing. All I can think is that is might have to do with using cages? Plants are doing well and producing but have some twisted branches.

o

How would Using cages cause twisted leaves ?

o

Well, I've noticed that the branches sometimes get hung on the cage while growing. This causes them to bend under and twist. After I free them they tend to straighten out. As fast as tomatoes grow, your obviously going to miss this sometimes.

o

My Amish Paste tomatoes are doing the same thing! It is strange weather we are having in WI, very dry. I water the raised beds every few days. None of my other 10 varieties of tomatoes are doing that, so I figured it's just how Amish Paste responds to heat. (This is my first year growing it) Though, I have a 13-striped ground squirrel trying to nest between it and my Roma, so I wondered if that had something to do with it. I'm growing mine on stakes, with some pruning. Amish Paste is growing the second fastest of all my varieties (Sungold is taking over the world.)

I saw a healthy little tomato on the Amish Paste yesterday, though, so I'm not worrying about it.

o

Root rot will cause these symptoms from over watering. Cut open a stem and check for streaking. If no streaking. Then slow down on watering.

o

We have had 3 very hot and humid days in a row. The tomatoes are still growing and actually look better. I don't think they were overwatered. I don't water everyday and we have had 2 days of rain since they were planted. I think it was just their own unique reaction to the weather and the cages. Thanks for all the advice.

o

My san marzano redortas have been doing the same thing, as well as the ones I gave away to some friends. Only that variety, perhaps it has something to do with the paste varieties? It almost seems like the plants are trying to turn thier leaves upside down. ???

CH

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here