Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hudson___wy

Trellising Down

hudson___wy
9 years ago

We grow indeterminate tomatoes in our GH and would like to train them to grow back down the trellis after they have reached the top - has anyone developed a method to do this? Photos would be great ! We seem to be able to head the plant back downward by going lateral a short distance as shown in the photo - but the plant is always reaching for the sun - always making a U turn from our tie - any suggestions?

{{gwi:298783}}

{{gwi:298784}}

Comments (8)

• theforgottenone1013 (SE MI zone 5b/6a)
    9 years ago

Maybe try using a sinker (fishing weight) tied to the branch to gently pull it downward? I have doubts that it will work but it will cost almost nothing to try.

Rodney

• User
    9 years ago

Have you looked at these? A spool of twine above each plant, and when the vine reaches the top, unroll the twine spool allowing the bottom of the vine to bend over to the side or wrap around. Remove all foliage on the vines below the fruits.

"Supporting and training greenhouse tomato plants

Single-stem tomato plants can grow up to 30 feet in height and can have a load of 10 pounds of fruit at any given time. The weak stem requires a strong support system to carry the heavy load. Normally, the fall crop plants are the easiest to support and train because they are terminated after 165 days of planting. The spring crop lasts for about 210 days and the long-season crop (one crop per year system) for about 300 days. A strong wire cable of 3/32 inch diameter should be stretched over each row of tomato plants at a height of 8 feet and supported by a strong greenhouse frame or metal posts. Hooks having at least 30 feet of wrapped string and plant clips are needed to complete the job. Hang one hook above each plant and release enough string to reach the base of the stem. Clamp the string in the hinge of the clip and snap the clip around the plant stem. As the tomato plant continues to grow wrap the string clockwise around it and snap a clip every two to three feet of height for extra support. Lean and drop each tomato plant in one direction when it reaches the cable by releasing some string from the hook. The fall crop may be leaned and dropped for two times, the spring crop for five times, and the long season crop for up to 10 times."

Hanna Tomato Book

Here is a link that might be useful: Hydro-Gardens Growing Supplies

• dodge59
    9 years ago

The problem is, Hudson, that in the Greenhouse they have nothing "interesting" to look at except the Sun above & so they "Head for it"! Try buying some "Scale models" of "These" and place below the plants.

I bet the plants head for the Hudsons !

Gary

• hudson___wy
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Art - Yes, I have seen that technique but I think my GH is to small to use it. Thanks for suggesting it though. I have never tried topsy turvy tomato plants but it seems possible to send the vine back down the trellis similar to the topsy turvy method?

Geez Gary - why didn't I think of that?! That idea should work as well as anything that I have come up with so far - thanks for the suggestion! Nice photo!

• yardenman
    9 years ago

I haven't had that problem exactly, but I do routinely guide my growing tips in and out of the cage. As vines, tomatoes are rather manuverable.

• User
    9 years ago

Yes your method obviously works great, I just remember reading about that greenhouse method before.

I suppose you could tuck them back through the trellis, or maybe just let them fall over and back down?

• missingtheobvious
    9 years ago

Eventually the weight of the fruit will pull the stems down.

• seysonn
    9 years ago

Yeah, eventually it should cascade down by its own weight. But you can provide some guidance.