Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cactusguy250

Brown and curling tomatoes

cactusguy250
10 years ago

This is my first time trying to grow some edibles in containers and I'm having some troubles with my tomatoes, they are slowly turning brown and I'm worried it might be blight. It could just be nutrient burn because i never mixed plant food into the soil so i have been using 20-20-20 water soluble plant food at half strength every week. They have been growing really strangely as well. they stems will turn 90 degrees so the leaves are facing down. Anybody have any ideas to get these guys back on track?

http://postimg.org/image/wpk4d1zht/

http://postimg.org/image/xyllhm4qn/

http://postimg.org/image/dd6tppn5r/

Comments (4)

• Bets
    10 years ago

Cactusguy's pictures:

To be able to suggest what might be wrong with your plant, it would be helpful to know more about the environment it is in. So, here are the "usual" questions:

What growing medium are you using? How large is the container? Is the container in full sun, part sun or shade?

It would be helpful to know these things as well: How often do you water? Do they stay as wet as they are in your pictures? Have you checked the moisture of the growing medium or soil 3-5" below the surface between waterings? Is it dry, just right, or soggy before you water again? What has the weather been like in your area?

Are there any other plants near the problem plant that are showing similar issues?

The more information you can give us, the better the chances that someone can give you an accurate diagnosis.

Betsy

This post was edited by bets on Fri, Jun 7, 13 at 18:41

• cactusguy250
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I made some soil with a 50/50 ratio of sea soil and peat moss with a bit of perlite, probably a lot less than I should have used. One is in a 5 gal container and i think the other one is 4 gal. They get full sun but some trees to the east block out the morning sun for a couple hours. I just watered them before I took the pictures, I give them about a half a gallon of water every day. I have never checked moisture of the soil any more than 2 inches. I'm not really sure how wet it is supposed to be but its always damp for the most part. I never let it dry out.

• jean001a
    10 years ago

Soluble 20-20-20 won't burn unless the potting mix (or soil when in the ground) is dry when the fert is applied.

Evidence of dry leaf edges means that they're too dry. Several possible reasons: too little water; dry out before watered again; and are in marginally sized containers -- thus, insufficient root room.

• Bets
    10 years ago

Jean is right about half strength 20-20-20 not burning. I suspect your problem is contained in the next statement:

"I have never checked moisture of the soil any more than 2 inches. I'm not really sure how wet it is supposed to be but its always damp for the most part."

Curling leaves are typically a sign of stress in a tomato plant, with over watering being one of the most common causes.

GardenWebber sprouts_honor (Jennifer from Cleveland) had a wonderful suggestion on how to tell whether or not you need to water your tomatoes, and I quote here: "Get a wooden dowel rod (or two) and sink it in the ground near a plant or two and leave it. Pull it out when you think you need to water. If the top is dry and the bottom is a little damp, it's time to water. If it looks dark and feels saturated, wait to water. I use this technique with potted plants that don't like being over watered and it's helpful with in ground plants too."

Betsy