Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sequoiamatt99

Heirloom Tomatoes

SequoiaMatt99
9 years ago

If anyone has heirloom tomato plants, sharing the pictures here would create a great collection. Even if the plants don't have tomatoes on them yet, you could post a younger plant and a follow up with the full-grown fruits.

Comments (11)

• SequoiaMatt99
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Abe Lincoln

This post was edited by SequoiaMatt99 on Sat, Jun 21, 14 at 10:39

• SequoiaMatt99
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Brandywine Pink... The Tomato Tone Organic fertilizer has made these really take off the past couple of weeks.

This post was edited by SequoiaMatt99 on Sat, Jun 21, 14 at 10:41

• digdirt2
    9 years ago

Glad you edited that Matt and changed it to Abe Lincoln. :) Was just about to point out that Brandywine is a potato leaf.

Dave

• suvoth
    9 years ago

Cherokee Purple

• suvoth
    9 years ago

Caspian pink

• nugrdnnut
    9 years ago

It is too late to post my early picture as each of the tomatoes in my raised bed are now indistinguishable from each other as I tend to plant them closer (about 2 & 1/2 feet apart). Will try to post a picture later!

• seysonn
    9 years ago

Most tomato plants, especially if you get a shot, are basically reveal 2 kinds on appearance ; (1) Regular Leaf (2) Potato Leaf.
    Few have distinctive foliage. Some are wispy. Some display curled leave. But I know one (growing it too) which has unique foliage, called
    Silvery Fir Tree". It is a determinat with bushy habit.
    Here is a picture of it.

• carolyn137
    9 years ago

Below I've linked to the FAQ here on leaf types, and for sure RL and PL are the most common,but read about the variegated ones and the rugose ones and the angora ones as well.

Silvery Fir Tree is an RL variety,one of several variations on the RL theme and others with the same foliage are called Carrot-Like and Lucinda.

Carolyn has no camera and also comments that there's about 20,000 known heirloom varieties,probably 15,000 or so available to the public and Tania lists around 4,000 of them in her data base so a ways to go on getting even a small fraction of them pictured here, ( wink)

But good to know that Tania has individual pages for about 4,000 them pictured at her data base with pictures, variety traits,reports from others and seed sources, and histories,for most of them if folk are interested in those

Carolyn

Here is a link that might be useful: FAQ on leaf types

This post was edited by carolyn137 on Sun, Jun 22, 14 at 15:09

• seysonn
    9 years ago

To dig into the technical here, I may say that the term "REGULAR" in this case is very loose indeed.

Definition:

Regular :
    "1.arranged in or constituting a constant or definite pattern, especially with the same space between individual instances. "

So by definition if , say Cherokee Purple has "Regular" leaves then a tomato with "carrot" leaves (like Silvery Fir Tree) do not fit into the same class, being regular.

• yardenman
    9 years ago

My Cherokee Purple has 6 fruits and the Brandywnes look healthier than usual., and I planted them "late" this year. I'm thinking "late" is better than "early".

• carolyn137
    9 years ago

Regular :
    "1.arranged in or constituting a constant or definite pattern, especially with the same space between individual instances. "

So by definition if , say Cherokee Purple has "Regular" leaves then a tomato with "carrot" leaves (like Silvery Fir Tree) do not fit into the same class, being regular

&&&&&

Sorry, but I don't understand what you are trying to say when you talk about a definite pattern and same space between "instances"

That sounds to me more like an attempt to define internode distances which define the difference between ind and det varieties.

You can see from the FAQ that RL leaves have the normal indentations along the leaf edge, while most PL leaves do not, although there are 5 versions of PL leaves that have been recognized.

And heaven knows how many versions of RL leaves since the indentations along the leaf edge can vary considerably from variety to variety to variety as can leaf width, etc.

So, SFT does not have varietgated foliage, it doesn't have angora foliage, it doesn't have PL foliage, it doesn't have rugose foliage,what it has is a version of RL foliage.

I linked below to one picture which shows the foliage pretty well, but you can do a Google search for the variety and IMAGES come up and you can click on those as well

Carolyn

Here is a link that might be useful: Foliage of SFT

Sponsored
Ed Ball Landscape Architecture
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
Exquisite Landscape Architecture & Design - “Best of Houzz" Winner