Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
matt_in_va

what's this?

Happened overnight on two young fruit. Others on the same plant look fine. I'm a tomato noob, so forgive me if this is obvious. I did some googling and didn't find anything quite like this.

Comments (8)

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    9 years ago

blossom end rot

• matt_in_va Zone 7a
    Original Author
    9 years ago

PS -- I saw what *might* have been a leaf footed bug on one of the affected maters this morning. Looked like a black, slightly oversized, armored mosquito.

• seysonn
    9 years ago

It is a classic tomato rot called "Blossom End Rot" , BER for short.
    You will hear and learn about it .

• matt_in_va Zone 7a
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Ah, crap. Ok. Thanks, hoovb.

• 2ajsmama
    9 years ago

Not a problem - very common early in the season. Just keep the watering consistent and the later ones will be fine.

• digdirt2
    9 years ago

Yeah check all the fruit on the vine and remove any of them showing it and toss them. Reduces demands on the plant and they'd not be edible anyway.

If you want to read more about it there is a FAQ here about it and lots on info on the web.

Dave

• matt_in_va Zone 7a
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks all. I did some reading and I'm guessing the problem is that I've been overwatering the past few days. I wouldn't have guessed that just a few days would have such a big impact, but earlier fruits did not have this problem and the only change is that I've been watering more often.

I've been kind of winging it on watering up to now. That has worked OK for hot peppers in the past, but I gather maters are more sensitive about such things. I guess I'd better go get some dowels.

• edweather USDA 9a, HZ 9, Sunset 28
    9 years ago

The good news is that you caught them quickly, and not when the tomatoes were almost full sized.

Sponsored
Capri Home Renovations
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars33 Reviews
Reputable Home Renovation Company Serving Northern Virginia