Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What pest is eating my tomato?

Posted by hppzz 9 (My Page) on
Tue, Jun 5, 12 at 10:40

Just discovered small holes in my green paul robeson...what type of pest is causing it and what can i do about it? Ideally would love to treat this organically, thanks for all your help!

photo (10)

photo (11)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What pest is eating my tomato?

It was a caterpillar. It had its snack and left.

If left on the vine, that tomato would have ripened okay. Then, to eat it, you just trim out the hole.

o

For an organic product, you can use BT (Bacillus thuringiensis kurstaki). It kills caterpillars (though they may munch for a day or so before dying) and won't bother anything else. BT is available in various garden products. [You don't want any BT product that isn't BT kurstaki. The other strains of BT kill other things but don't affect caterpillars.]

(And BT kurstaki kills caterpillars but won't kill caterpillar-like creatures like the pine sawfly larvae currently infesting my dwarf mugo pines; I go on patrol daily. Isopropyl alcohol is marvelous stuff.)

o

I agree with the above and most likely suspect IMO would be a tomato fruit worm.

But I will add that others have posted similar pics lately and some folks have suggested bird damage. I have never personally had a problem with birds pecking my fruit but it does make sense to me that a bird could do that type of damage.

Dave

o

thanks, everyone, i'm ordering greenlight BT but can't tell if it is BT kurtaski

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000UGPSMY/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i00

o

Why not just go to the the maker's website (Greenlight) and look it up. It should tell you there since they have to post the MSDA info.

Dave

o

thanks, it was such small print, but yes, green light BT is kurstaki

o

Yes, indeed. The clue is that it says "worm killer"

Beyond that, if the hole was due to birds, it would be angular, not round. (Gotta pay attention to the critters' eating patterns,)

o

came back to tomatoes again yesterday afternoon and caught it snacking on another! a green worm?

o

I believe that's a tomato fruitworm (same as corn earworm). The coloration varies, and the older ones have stripes. Here's a photo of a bunch of them with different coloration:
http://entoplp.okstate.edu/ddd/insects/cornearworm.htm

They mostly make deeper holes, frequently very messy.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here