Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Bottom leaves concern

Posted by themilkdud05 5a (My Page) on
Thu, Jun 12, 14 at 10:54

A couple of plants have the bottom leaves that don't seem right... Should I be concerned? First year from seed

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Bottom leaves concern

Also some are yellow at bottom not too many just worried it may get worse... Other than that they seem green and healthy

o

• Posted by digdirt 6b-7a North AR (My Page) on
    Thu, Jun 12, 14 at 11:55

The top pic is environmental damage - sun scorch. Were they well hardened off prior to transplanting outdoors? Those leaves may die and fall off but pose no threat to the plant as long as the new growth looks ok.

The second pic looks like some possible just-beginning disease issue from the contact with the soil. Would need to see a close up of the leaf to know for sure as it could also just be some sun scorch.

Any branches that have direct contact with the soil need to be removed when planting.

Be sure to mulch all the plants well as soon as your soil temps warm enough.

Dave

o

.....plus, in general the plants look ok. I might give them a bit more food.

o

I tend to take the bottom leaves off on most plants just because they are ususaly damaged from soil contact or bug exposure etc. I don't think it matters too much

o

I think this common practice of removing leaves is a bit misleading. You are removing source of obtaining nutrients from the plant and stressing plant in addition making it more susceptible to other problems. Even if plant has fungal problem on the leaf do you remove the problem when you remove the leaf...
Plant is doing ok, leaves are ok, environmental damage, leave it be, new suckers are coming. Put some straw under lower leaves.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here