Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Voles or Moles?????

Posted by plantloverla z8LA (My Page) on
Tue, Jun 12, 12 at 10:56

I don't know which critter completely destroyed 2 full-grown tomato vines, but they ate the entire root system as well as knawed through the stem at ground level. I found a burrow opening at the base of one of the vines. Any idea which critter? I don't use poisons...so I really need an organic alternative/deterrent. I have heard that castor oil repels moles....how about cayenne pepper and red pepper flakes in the planting holes????????????????need help!!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Voles or Moles?????

If no sign of raised mound, soil-surface tunnels then it is voles and moles aren't plant eaters anyway. There are all sorts of commercial organic products available for controlling both.

Dave

o

A gopher finished off one of my plants yesterday, plant just sunk down in the hole. I put the hose down the hole and flushed him out. My Corgi was chasing him when I went in the house, not wanting to see her kill him. I've never had a gopher bother the tomatoe plants before. Good luck with whatever is getting yours.

o

We have Ground Squirrels...nothing has worked with them. Have trapped, used pellet gun, flooded their holes (one goes under our house!), and put poisoned bate in their holes. Any suggestions?

o

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here