Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tucker46060

Tomato problems

tucker46060
10 years ago

Here is my tomato dilemma ... still puzzled after searching and reading lots of info.

The lower leaves have what looks like leaf curl; we've had a cooler start to the summer here in IN, and a fair amount of rain (not excessive, probably 1"/week here in our rain gauge).

The upper / new leaves are hard, leathery, and the edges are curled. They are green and not discolored. I'll try and post a picture later, can't now.

These symptoms are on all of the plants I grew myself from seed. They are planted in raised beds. I planted in separate beds from where I grew tomatoes last year.

The plants grew fine from germination, symptoms developed when they were planted out.

I gave away a fair number of plants; I've not seen them, but people I've talked to indicate that theirs are doing fine.

I have some plants that I ordered, planted about a week or so later than mine, in the same mix but different bed, which are doing fine.

I have not sprayed ANY herbicide. We are on 10+ acres, nearest neighbor is at least 700'+ to the west.

Here are my thoughts, wondering what you all think / what I can do for the plants:

- there is a field of corn to the west, between us and the neighbors. The farmer sprayed some sort of (I'm guessing) herbicide last week. The symptoms were there beforehand, but seem worse now. It was not too windy that day.

- I replenished the beds this year with compost from a new source; it was composted yard waste. How long can herbicides persist in compost? This was not as well composted as the source I used last year.

- Could this be a virus? How would I tell the difference between chemical damage and viral infection?

Comments (2)

Sponsored
J.Holderby - Renovations
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Leading General Contractors - 2X Best of Houzz!