Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Zone 8b Raised Bed Tomato Question

Posted by bamacrazy 8b Mobile, AL (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 20, 12 at 11:13

I am preparing a 12" 4x8 raised bed for fall tomatos. I live in Mobile Alabama, so which types would be best for these conditions. I was planning on planting 4-6 tomatoes in the west half and 6-9 orka plants in the east half. Also, I'm having trouble finding plants so I may have to use seeds. Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Zone 8b Raised Bed Tomato Question

I'm in a hot zone also, I find the cherry tomatoes do much better than the larger varieties.

Here is a link that might be useful: DFW Gardener

o

Thanks!

o

Tomatoes can't set fruit when temps or humidity are too high.

When daily highs are above 90-95 and nighttime lows are either above 75 or below 55, pollen becomes unviable and fruit can't set.

The same is true of really high humidity, but I don't know the numbers.

Some varieties will set at higher temps than other varieties. Cherries are among those who tolerate heat better.

I don't know anything about your region, but if you aren't finding seedlings for sale at this time, it may be because the weather is unfavorable. You might ask your county's Cooperative Extension office when would be a good time to plant. Click on your state here, and you'll get the county list:
http://www.csrees.usda.gov/Extension/

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here