Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
daisyjoy5

Tomato Lingo?

daisyjoy5
9 years ago

Hi all,

I'm wondering if we can have a general area for interpretation of the lingo associated with growing tomatoes. I'm fairly new at it; this is only my second year. But when I'm browsing the threads I see a lot of terms that I don't really understand.

For example:
F1. What is this?
OG... organic?
IR: some sort of disease?

I'm just not clear on all of the shorthand and terminology.

Thanks!

Comments (14)

• digdirt2
    9 years ago

Daisy - Garden Web has a great Glossary that defines most all commonly used terms. For example:

F1 hybrid - First-generation cross between two pure-bred strains. These hybrids produce seeds that are not true to type. See also filial generation.

F2 hybrid - Second-generation cross between two F1 hybrids.

But that isn't going to cover everything since some abbreviations have multiple meanings and are often used within a specific context. So "IR" can mean lots of things and it depends on the discussion context it is used in.

"OG" generally means organic gardening but it too can have other meanings depending on the context of the discussion.

So you need to understand the context it is used in and when you don't, just ask on that thread - "What does OG mean in this discussion?"

We tend to get into the habit of using abbreviations when doing lots of posting and we forget others may not know what we mean but most all are more than willing to clarify.

Dave

Here is a link that might be useful: GW Glossary

• daisyjoy5
    Original Author
    9 years ago

OK thanks! I must have missed the glossary, but searching through threads didn't turn up any sort of definitions that I was looking for.

What does it mean "not true to type"?

• theforgottenone1013 (SE MI zone 5b/6a)
    9 years ago

"Not true to type" means pretty much what it says. If you save seeds from an F1 hybrid and grow those saved seeds, they will not be the exact same as the original (in other words, it will not grow true to type). The saved seeds will most likely revert back to having the traits of one of the parents that made the F1 hybrid. And this F1 business applies to all different types of veggie seeds, not just tomatoes.

Rodney

This post was edited by theforgottenone1013 on Tue, Jun 24, 14 at 13:11

• daisyjoy5
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Ah, ok. That makes sense. Sorry if that was a stupid question. :)

Thanks so much! I've looked through the glossary a bit... man this website isn't exactly the most user friendly...

• digdirt2
    9 years ago

man this website isn't exactly the most user friendly...

I'm sorry you feel that way. We sure try to be.

Dave

• 2ajsmama
    9 years ago

I think she means the search function, etc. not the people.

• seysonn
    9 years ago

I think the overall design of this site belongs to the pre windows era. It has a lousy text editor, no font and color options, you cannot make direct quotes, no message box, not being able to post multiple pictures (without going to a third party site). This is aside from the members and what kind of information you can find here.

• daisyjoy5
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Yes, I did mean the site, not the people. :)

I find the people here to be super helpful and knowledgeable!

So sorta on topic question: I know heirlooms are desirable, but newer strains may have more disease resistance, etc.

Is there an overall expressed preference for one over the other though? Are people going to think I'm crazy for not planting any heirloom varieties? :)

• sue_ct
    9 years ago

LOL, probably some will, but who cares? I have a strong preference for the heirlooms but I have planted hybrids and sometimes still do. You plant what you like to grow, and even more, what you like to eat. :)

• digdirt2
    9 years ago

Yep, what Sue said. Plant whatever you want. I grow lots of both and their are pros and cons for both sides of the coin. I wouldn't rule out the so-called heirlooms completely without ever trying any of them. But for many folks a tomato isn't a tomato unless it is round, red, and a hybrid. If that makes them happy that is all that counts. :)

Dave

9 years ago

"Are people going to think I'm crazy for not planting any heirloom varieties?"

Heck no! If you aren't into seed saving then you can plant whatever type of seed you want. Be it heirloom (which comes true from seed), open pollinated (comes true from seed), or hybrid. Anyone who judges is wrong for doing so, in my opinion.

"Is there an overall expressed preference for one over the other though?"

Grow whatever you feel does the best for you in your location. Not all varieties grow well everywhere. Some people are into heirlooms and open pollinated varieties because they are into seed saving. Some people are into heirlooms for the history that comes along with the seeds/plants and they want to preserve the varieties and history for future generations. It's a personal choice.

And personally, I grow heirlooms, OP's, and hybrids.

Rodney

P.S. seysonn, you can change fonts, text color, underline, and make things bold but I find it to be a bother. Below is a link on how to do so.

Here is a link that might be useful: How do I use HTML Code to change fonts and insert stuff in posts?

• seysonn
    9 years ago

Rodney, Thanks but I am not into HTML programming. It is just too time consuming. Some text writer/editors have on screen menu so you don't have to do programming.

About Topic:

DTM = Date To Maturity: number of approximate days from plant out of about 8" plant to the first ripe tomato. This is just a ball park number that seed catalogs publish.

9 years ago

seysonn- Yeah... that's why I said it's a bother. :) I use it occasionally to insert links but prefer not to mess with it.

Daisyjoy5- Sorry for going off topic.

Rodney

This post was edited by theforgottenone1013 on Wed, Jun 25, 14 at 17:08

• daisyjoy5
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks everyone! I think next year maybe I'll experiment with both and see what happens.