Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Staking/Caging "Patio" Tomatoes

Posted by MrChris123 none (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 18, 14 at 11:23

Hello Everyone,
I recently planted 3 tomato plants in my garden. The tomato plants are called "Patio" variety. I got them from Bonnie plants and apparently they are suited for small gardens since they will only grow 24" tall. Since they will be so short, I was wondering if it is necessary to stake or cage these plants?
Also, I have one more question. In general, when it comes to tomato plants, which is better, staking or caging?
Thank you all!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Staking/Caging "Patio" Tomatoes

• Posted by digdirt 6b-7a North AR (My Page) on
    Wed, Jun 18, 14 at 11:59

Your last question has no definitive answer. Caging vs. staking has bee debated by growers for decades. Both have advantages and disadvantages so it boils down to which works best for you.

Having tried both for many years I come down heavily on the caging side assuming we are talking "real" cages" and not those 3 ring things. But many others much prefer staking. Try both and see what works best for you in your garden.

As for your Patio plants, yes they will benefit from some form of support as the weight of the fruit tends to lay them over as does wind or heavy rain. A 4' stake works well and for them, even one of the 3 ring things but it will need to be staked to keep it from falling over.

Dave

o

Thank you very much Dave!

o

"Patio" tomatoes are usually very short and bushy. So in my opinion even a small cage should be enough to keep it contained.

I would recommend searching by its name (what you have) and find out about its growth habit.

o

I grow Patio almost every year along with other smaller varieties in (real) EarthBox containers. Commonly sold cages that are typically about 40" to 44" tall and apx 14" square fit in the EB very well, and are also good for in-ground use. Since these usually have 8 legs, I end up cutting off 4 legs that would be outside the EB, but for in-ground use, I naturally leave the cages intact. Cages control Patio and even larger bush or ISI varieties like Better Bush, Husky Cherry, etc. very, very well.
-WC2K8

Here is a link that might be useful: typical standard size tomato cage

o

My Patio tomato is about three feet tall and bushy. Loaded with green tomatoes that I hope will taste tangy beefsteak-y good. I had it propped against a patio roof post but a gust of wind blew it over. Luckily no stems broke. I tied it to the post top to bottom. It's so bushy and the stems so thick it's hard to part the branches looking for tomatoes. One tomato has some color and I have my salt shaker ready !

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here