Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
veggarden_2010

Watering potted tomatoes while away

veggarden_2010
11 years ago

I am proud to say that despite the challenges of growing tomatoes in the Georgia heat, our temperate spring has supported a healthy an productive tomato plant on my second story porch. I'm leaving on vacation tomorrow and have investigated several different ideas for keeping the plant watered, including the generous neighbor idea, drip timer systems, etc. One intriguing idea was posted on another forum by a gardener who suggests using a length of thick cotton rope (clothesline size) and stringing it through the cap of a large bottle of water. The remaining length is placed on top of the soil surrounding the plant. The water bottle is placed above the soil level, in my case on a chair adjacent to the pot in an upside-down fashion. The result is a water saturated rope for continuous moisture. I tested this idea last night by threading rope through the top spicket of a Thermos (2 gallons). I turned the Thermos on its side and placed the remaining rope in a swirl pattern around the plant. The rope was pre-saturated with water to get things moving. My question is, has any one used this method? I checked the water level in the Thermos this morning and found that I didn't screw the top on tight enough and water leaked out of the top and on the the floor. No time now to really test the system since I leave tomorrow. Is there a flaw in the science of this idea? Please help! I want tomatoes this summer!

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting