Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
speroni_gw

Yellow & Black leaves! And flowering but no fruits??

Speroni
9 years ago

Hi all, first time grower & poster and would really appreciate some help!

I decided to start growing some things this year -Tomatoes, Courgettes, Carrots, Salad, Strawberries, Cucumbers and Peppers. All are coming along very well except my tomatoes!

The plants have been growing like mad with plenty of trusses and flowers, but i have 2 main problems: the flowers aren't fruiting, and the bottom leaves are turning yellow & black.

I have 2 plants together in one long planter, using soil from a grow-bag. I haven't fed them anything, and was wondering if anyone can help me resolve the problem.

Also, another question on the side - will it cause any problems to the plants if i top up the planter with soil? The level seems quite low and there's a good 2-3 inches left to the top of it

Comments (8)

• wertach zone 7-B SC
    9 years ago

The first thing that I see is the container is too shallow!

• Speroni
    Original Author
    9 years ago

To be honest I didn't really consider that! But isn't it too late to re-pot them now? I thought they would be fine as grow bags are shallower than the pot, but thats why i mentioned about topping up the soil level

• wertach zone 7-B SC
    9 years ago

It appears that you have them in a greenhouse? Or?

I don't know whether it is too late, since I don't know what type of growing season you have in London, UK.

My best guess would be to re-pot them because I don't think that they will produce. Unless they are a dwarf variety.

You need a minimum of a 5 gallon bucket per plant. Larger would be better.

I'm guessing that a 5 gallon bucket in the UK is about 2.5' deep? ;)

• Speroni
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Nope, they're not in a greenhouse

I'll have a look if i have any other pots i can trasfer them into, thanks

• missingtheobvious
    9 years ago

Yes, you can top up the container with more potting mix. (Using actual garden soil is a bad idea, because it doesn't drain well in containers.)

I'm guessing that a 5 gallon bucket in the UK is about 2.5' deep? ;)

My 5-gallon buckets are 16" tall, with an interior diameter of about 11 1/4".

There are 268.8 cu. inches per gallon. So 1344 cu. inches per 5 gallons.

So a 5-gallon bucket = 22024 cu. cms.

So before moving the tomatoes to another container, you should measure your container and calculate the volume of soil in cubic centimeters.

However, different tomato varieties are happy with containers of different sizes, so it would help to know what kind of tomato you're growing.

Then the gurus can tell you whether your container is an adequate size or not.

I doubt the shallowness of the container will be an issue in London, since you don't have the high summer temperatures we have in most of the U.S.

This post was edited by missingtheobvious on Thu, Jun 19, 14 at 13:01

• seysonn
    9 years ago

I second: the planter is too shallow. Least you can do is to fill it to the brim and mulch it to prevent wash out. I treat some of my smaller pots that way.

2- your plants show nutrient deficiency (phosphorus and Nitrogen, possibly magnesium).
    Just feed the with some kind of tomato fertilizer, follow the instructions, as I don't know what is available over there in London, England.

• donna_in_sask
    9 years ago

I know you said you have only the two plants in the whole container, but that one plant looks like it has at least four, if not five, stems coming from the base...which usually means more than one plant.

You need a much larger pot if you want any degree of success. There have been years where I've started too many plants and have simply plunked them into whatever was available and those plants never did produce much.

• sharonrossy
    9 years ago

Agree, much too shallow for a tomato plant. Don't use regular soil in a container. You need a soilless mixture and you need to fertilize on a regular basis when using containers. Make sure you add lime to the mixture and that the fertilizer doesn't have too high of a nitrogen ratio, or you will get lots of foliage and no fruit.
    Sharon

Sponsored
Hope Restoration & General Contracting
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars35 Reviews
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations