Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
garystpaul_zone_4

Diseased leaves

garystpaul
10 years ago

These are on a Barlow Jap[anese] plant that I'm growing in a bucket. None of the neighboring plants exhibits these symptoms. Could someone help me identify the problem? After some digging around in the online literature I'm still unsure what's going on here.

Many thanks.
Gary

Comments (6)

• teeainttelling
    10 years ago

Hi Gary,

I am in the Twin Cities. I know in the last 1-2 two years there was alot of 'early blight' going around.

All diseases of the leaf look the same to me - but here is a UM link on it:

Here is a link that might be useful: UM extension blight link

• garystpaul
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you, Timmytoo. it sure looks like early blight. I guess I should (a) start a regular spray program to help the non-symptomatic plants, and (b) pull this one and put in the trash. Sound right?

Gary

• Stellabee
    10 years ago

Hi Gary, that looks like early blight or something similar to me too (and I've had early blight many times). I wish I were you. I just realized I probably have late blight, meaning I have to pull all my plants...

If I were you, I'd remove infected foliage with scissors and spray down the plants with an organic copper fungicide every 10 days and not worry too much about it...

• carolyn137
    10 years ago

Gary, I agree with Early Blight and would remove affected foliage and start ASAP with a good anti-fungal, which for me would be Daconil, known to be effective and the most widely used anti-fungal in the world with less toxicity than Rotenone, which is approved by every organic certifying agency I know of.

I don't care if a product is synthetic or organic, what I care about is toxicity for humans and animals and fish, birds, bees and so much more.

I also see some leaf edema,and I don't think Barlow is rugose, so probably too much water and that edema should disappear. I could do a Google check or look at my SSE Yearbooks but I'm pretty sure it should be just normal RL foliage.

You can do a Google search for tomato leaf edema and look at some pictures.

It's always good to get on a spray schedule as soon as plants are set out.

Carolyn, who has that hugepink rose blossoming now and can't remember the name, the one you sent me. ( smile)

• garystpaul
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks, Carolyn. Glad to see you posting again. My Daconil regimen starts tomorrow. We've had a ton of rain lately and not much sun. No surprise that the tomatoes aren't flourishing. In a month we'll be complaining about heat and drought, ha.

Gary

• Stellabee
    10 years ago

Hi Gary, I came back to tell you that you may want to look up 'Septoria' too. I have been going over leaf disease photos today b/c of my own issue and the photos of Septoria made me think of your post...

Maybe?