Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
deadhead61

tasteless

deadhead61
9 years ago

Anyone ever grown any Black Brandywine?Was so looking forward to eating my black varieties this year,until Friday.Big robust plants,huge pretty fruits,hardly any flavor to speak of all,very disappointing.Grew Black Krim last year,loved the flavor,Bought several varieties,traded for others,was expecting way more flavor out the Brandywine and it just isn't there.

Comments (4)

• carolyn137
    9 years ago

Which Black Brandywine were you growing, since there are two of them.

The first one offered was just called Black Brandywine and was the result of an accidental cross in the growing fields of Seeds by Design in CA, a wholesaler where Linda Sapp who owns TGS was having seed production done. She offered it for a couple of years but it turned out to be unstable and stopped listing it but it's entirely possible that seeds might still be around.

The second one is called True Black Brandywine introduced by Will Weaver, and despite the fact that there are many who have problems with his discussion of how it came about, those who have grown it do like it.

There are lots of varieties with Brandywine as part of the name, there's Brandywine itself, with several so called strains, then Yellow Brandywine and Red Brandywine, all of those family heirlooms, then there's Liam's Brandywine', which is not a Brandywine, maybe half Brandywine and also OTV Brandywine, which is half Yellow Brandywine, and on and on.

Hope the above helps, but don't expect all those with Brandywine as part of the name to taste like Brandywine itself, and manyt hink that that one isTHE best tasting of ALL Brandywines, but I'm not one of them. (smile)

Carolyn

• deadhead61
    Original Author
    9 years ago

These came from Holmes Seed,and I will check as to its lineage.Baker Creek has a "True Black"', will check it out,sadly though,have a large number of seed from Holmes,luckily they only cost $4.75 for a 1/16 oz. Thanks Carolyn. Happy growing.

• digdirt2
    9 years ago

Over-watering or abnormally high amounts of rain - a common problem for much of the country this year - is one of the major contributing factors to lack of taste.

Dave

• carolyn137
    9 years ago

In the link below Tania explains some of the info about this variety that many of us have problems with.

Baker Creek is not the only source of seeds, see link below, but as I recall Solana in Canada does not ship to the US, Diane's Flowers is in the US.

Tania notes that SESE lists it as Black Brandywine, which is wrong, but two folks from SESE in VA will be visiting me on WED and I'll call that to their attention.

Carolyn, who has never eliminated a variety that comes well recommended, or even a new one, if it doesn't perform in one season. Just too many variables associated with weather especially, as Dave noted above.

Here is a link that might be useful: True ??? Black brandywine