Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
German Queen Tomato Question

Posted by jcrowder 7 (My Page) on
Thu, Jun 9, 11 at 11:59

I was looking at my German Queen Tomato plants last evening and noticed that they seem to be forming in clusters of 6 or so. Am I supposed to pinch a couple off to make room for the others to grow? They are so close together! They can't possibly get as big as they are supposed to all jammed up together like they are!

Thanks!
Jennifer

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: German Queen Tomato Question

Jennifer,
Are they in a pot? I snip off all, but one. I plant several in case all the seed doesn't germinate. Other people take the extras and put them into their own pot. In zone 7 yours should be in the ground or am I missing something? You going for your fall crop?
Gail

o

To Clarify..i'm referring to the clusters of fruit...not the plants or seedlings! Right now, there are clusters of about 6 tomatoes and each tomato is about the size of small peach. They are already touching each other so I'm just concerned about how much room they need to grow to full maturity.

o

IS your plant potato leaf (PL) as it should be if it's German Queen?

The reason I ask is b'c most varieties that are large beefsteak shaped varieties don't have that many fruits on one truss.

Carolyn, who never thins fruits; that's for those who want to grow larger fruits than a plant normally gives and my priority is taste, not fruit size.

o

My German Queens don't produce fruits like that. Last year I got about 4 fruits per plant.

o

Hi all,I planted a german queen for the first time this year and started it out in a topsy turvey,She didnt like this set-up,the main stalk turned black,I put her in a pot on the front deck and she is doing fine,I have used topsy's for years and have my own custom stand with a gravity fed watering system and consistantly churn out super tomatoes.Tomatoes are like anything else,you have to commit to them or it wont work,watering and temperatures go hand in hand and it takes patience and dedication for it to pay off.I grow nothing but tomatoes and have learned how to from trial and error,Happy growing

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here