Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
containerted

Black & Red Boar.

containerted
14 years ago

Brian, you're gonna love this.

This is Black & Red Boar. The top two are just beginning to show some of the Red Color.

{{gwi:1344363}}

Ted

Comments (15)

• bdobs
    14 years ago

Oh Very nice!
    I'm in Washington DC right now so I'll be away from my plants for the next week. Hoping to have some blush going on when I get back.
    Post some pics when they show their true colors.
    Save me some seeds, and I'll save you some other Wild Boar varieties

Brian

• containerted
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Brian, I'm also growing Berkeley Tie-Dye, and you have a deal.

Ted

• bcskye
    14 years ago

Containerted, where did you get your Black And Red Boar seeds? I saw the first post about them and they've perked my interest. Think it is something I'd like to try next year.

• johnny_tomato_seed
    14 years ago

Bcskye:

The originator of the seeds are here. http://www.wildboarfarms.com/photo3_1.html. When I heard about the Berkeley Pink Tie-Dye, I had to have it. But unfortunately, it's quite difficult to get a hold of them directly as they are not selling until later in the season.

I am hoping to get some from Teb and Brian ;-).

• containerted
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Johnny, I actually got Black & Red Boar from Baker Creek as a gift sent to me with an order.

And later in the year, I will make seeds available if the harvest continues to go well.

Teb,

er, uh

Ted

• carolyn137
    14 years ago

The only variety of Brad's that I've grown is Brad's Black Heart which I thought was very good, especially since I'm not a great lover of so called blacks.

Brad is too busy to deal with seed requests during the tomato season but considering what he had to go through to genetically stabilize these accidental crosses if it were me I'd try to buy directly from his website when he is selling seeds so that he gets some money back for all his efforts.

Just a gentle suggestion.

Carolyn

• sprtsguy76
    14 years ago

I'd love to try some of Brads collection as well too. Good to know you can buy directly from him later in the season. Anybody know what time of the year they are available from Brad? I contacted Brad on Twitter and he said he will more than likely be having a Norcatt 2009 event, so I will be attending this year for the first time.

Damon

• johnny_tomato_seed
    14 years ago

Sorry about the spelling Ted. It was before I had breakfast :-(.

Carolyn:

Thanks for the suggestion. I did try to buy it from him directly. I just want the Pink Tie-Dye so badddddddddd this year and want to make certain I have it for next year. I will probably go to Norcatt and get it that way. He actually responded to me back in late May. Below is his reply. I see Damon tried to find out when it takes place from a certain Tomato "place" I am not allowed to mention ;-). Anyways, sorry to interrupt your thread Ted.

"I am done selling seeds until fall, however if you wanted Black and Brown Boar seeds before just send me your address and I will send you some.
    I will be harvesting approx. in Aug.
    Brad "

• containerted
    Original Author
    14 years ago

No problem, Johnny. Carolyn is correct. We all need to purchase seeds from Brad. He is trying to make a living producing a product that makes us all excited about tomatoes.

However, in the event that he is unable to fill orders for a particular variety, AND, IF, IF, IF I have extra seeds, I will make them available. I gave away more than 25000 seeds last year and wouldn't hesitate to send the seeds to Brad if he should need them.

Ted

• carolyn137
    14 years ago

I gave away more than 25000 seeds last year and wouldn't hesitate to send the seeds to Brad if he should need them.

That's between Brad and you Ted, but even though I don't know him all that well I bet he wants to produces his own seeds, I really do. That way he has his own quality control over his seeds and if there are any problems with the seeds he doen't have to lay blame elsewhere. Trust me, I know about that personally with my own seeds that I list in the SSE Yearbook as well as usually making a seed offer once a year elsehwere. LOL

Carolyn

• containerted
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Carolyn, I believe that is what I said. If Brad made the choice and asked me, I would freely give him the seeds gratis - if he asked. Maybe we should let Brad have access to all his choices and make those choices for himself, just as you make choices for yourself.

Ted

• carolyn137
    14 years ago

Maybe we should let Brad have access to all his choices and make those choices for himself, just as you make choices for yourself.

Well yes, but I'm not running a seed company and he is. And my choices these days are limited to finding and growing varieties that are new to all or most, so unknown to others for the most part, and so far that's working OK.

I don't know of anyone who has contacted someone who owns a seed co to offer seeds in bulk amounts for sale, but I do know of several situations where seeds are subcontrated out by some seed company owners for seed production to the growers of their choice.

Except this season, now back to tomatoes, has been so bad that I don't know if the plants will be able to mature fruits and Freda, who does my gardeing for me now still has some tomato plants to set out. Triple Sigh.

Carolyn

• sprtsguy76
    14 years ago

Carolyn,

Time to move you and Freda out to California, lol (just kidding). I could never live with your weather back east.

Damon in sunny Ca.

• carolyn137
    14 years ago

Time to move you and Freda out to California, lol (just kidding). I could never live with your weather back east

Maybe me and my two cat kids but no way would Freda move to CA with her son and all her relatives that live in this area. Especially now that her son is just finishing up college and is also back racing cars in the summer, and I don't mean on the highways, I mean serious dirt track racing. LOL

Carolyn who just looked at the weather sites and temps to go up a bit by Wednesday but still every single day this week showers and T-storms. Sigh.

• bcskye
    14 years ago

I will definitely be monitoring Brad's website and when he offers the seeds again, will be ordering from him. I've been self-employed myself and know how every dollar counts.