Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dirtygardener73

When to pick Cherokee Purple?

dirtygardener73
14 years ago

I finally have a Cherokee Purple ripening, and I'm thrilled, but I don't know when to pick it. It's coloring nicely on the bottom, but still green on top. Not a dark purple, just purplish right now, but the bottom feels soft and ripe.

Any help would be appreciated. A picture of a ripe one would be great.

Comments (14)

• nabcity
    14 years ago

CPs often have green shoulders. It's probably ripe if the bottom feels soft.

• robeb
    14 years ago

Here are some ripe & nearly ripe CP's.

• kandm
    14 years ago

I just bought some of these seeds, I can't wait.

• spiced_ham
    14 years ago

Its not really a question of when to pick, but when to eat. Many of us pick when the fruits are turning color (half pink) in order to avoid insect damage, splitting, and trespassing neighbors who think vine ripened means all the way ripe. Once color begins to change, flavor development is no longer dependent on connection to the plant.

With the ripening fruit safe on the counter top you can judge by softness of the fruit (below the shoulders). Green When Ripe varieties that do not have a yellowish skin are more difficult because you have to touch test them on the plant until they start to soften.

• thirsty_az
    14 years ago

i too wondered when to pick, but like spiced ham said testing them by their softness seemed to work just fine. we ate a few with green shoulders, and let a few get pretty ripe on the counter. all of them were excellent, with slightly differing character.

heres a few pics of ours this year.

ripening on the vine

ready to eat

compared to marglobe variety (underexposed a bit)

sliced and ready to eat

• scully931
    14 years ago

Robeb, those look gorgeous. I didn't plant cherokee for the first time this year because every single one rotted last year. The year before I got a couple good ones. They're probably my favorite but I just can't seem to grow them. Plus they were out of control growth wise. They sure are yummy, though!

• tangerine
    11 years ago

I picked my Cherokee tomato yesterday for the first time when it started to show some color on the bottom. I read that is when to pick them because they could become overripe on the vine. This is the first time in Florida that I have been able to grow tomatoes that look this good. My son made these grow boxes from 18 gallon storage bins. You use a lot less water with this method. If anyone wants information on the home made grow boxes just email me at tangerine@cfl.rr.com.

• dbran12
    7 years ago

My cherokee tomato plants have an abundant crop this year. I am especially pleased that they are resistant to tomato blight. I was very grateful to read about other fello gardeners who are growing this variety. I picked my first today. I grow organically and am thrilled with the results.

• fireduck
    7 years ago

I simply love CP's. For me, the taste is out of this world...and mine are productive enough. I learned that a "newly-fully ripe" CP will have green shoulders. Do not think this means they are not ripe...they are.

• dirtygardener73
    Original Author
    7 years ago

You know that look you get when you taste something scruptious, and that little "Mmm" that comes out of your mouth as you chew? That's what happens to me with my first Cherokee purple tomato sandwich every year.

• ilovecucumbers Zone 6b, NE PA
    7 years ago

I shared mine with my parents, and they HATED them. I couldn't believe it. They thought they tasted "strange." Well, yeah, if by "strange" you mean "absolute heaven."

• bau the man (uk, bristol,zone 7a)
    7 years ago

Hahahahahahahah ilovecucumbers thats funny.

• Albra Craig
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

When do I pick my CP