Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
When to pick Cherokee Purple?

Posted by dirtygardener73 (My Page) on
Tue, Jun 9, 09 at 12:04

I finally have a Cherokee Purple ripening, and I'm thrilled, but I don't know when to pick it. It's coloring nicely on the bottom, but still green on top. Not a dark purple, just purplish right now, but the bottom feels soft and ripe.

Any help would be appreciated. A picture of a ripe one would be great.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: When to pick Cherokee Purple?

CPs often have green shoulders. It's probably ripe if the bottom feels soft.

o

• Posted by robeb Kansas City area (My Page) on
    Tue, Jun 9, 09 at 13:23

Here are some ripe & nearly ripe CP's.

o

• Posted by kandm 8b coastal alabama (My Page) on
    Tue, Jun 9, 09 at 15:20

I just bought some of these seeds, I can't wait.

o

Its not really a question of when to pick, but when to eat. Many of us pick when the fruits are turning color (half pink) in order to avoid insect damage, splitting, and trespassing neighbors who think vine ripened means all the way ripe. Once color begins to change, flavor development is no longer dependent on connection to the plant.

With the ripening fruit safe on the counter top you can judge by softness of the fruit (below the shoulders). Green When Ripe varieties that do not have a yellowish skin are more difficult because you have to touch test them on the plant until they start to soften.

o

i too wondered when to pick, but like spiced ham said testing them by their softness seemed to work just fine. we ate a few with green shoulders, and let a few get pretty ripe on the counter. all of them were excellent, with slightly differing character.

heres a few pics of ours this year.

ripening on the vine
cherokee purple tomatoes

ready to eat
3 ripe cherokee purple tomatoes

compared to marglobe variety (underexposed a bit)
heirloom tomatoes

sliced and ready to eat
ripe cherokee purple tomato slices

o

Well, mine don't look quite that nice, due to the heat and rain. They are all split up, but healed over quite nicely. I'll pick them tomorrow and let them get ripe indoors. Can't wait to taste them!

o

Robeb, those look gorgeous. I didn't plant cherokee for the first time this year because every single one rotted last year. The year before I got a couple good ones. They're probably my favorite but I just can't seem to grow them. Plus they were out of control growth wise. They sure are yummy, though!

o

I picked my Cherokee tomato yesterday for the first time when it started to show some color on the bottom. I read that is when to pick them because they could become overripe on the vine. This is the first time in Florida that I have been able to grow tomatoes that look this good. My son made these grow boxes from 18 gallon storage bins. You use a lot less water with this method. If anyone wants information on the home made grow boxes just email me at tangerine@cfl.rr.com.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here