Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
patlovesdirt

Tomato Plants Too Tall!

patlovesdirt
14 years ago

I have this problem every year. I currently have 3 tomato plants growing in cages that are anchored by stakes. In the center of each cage I hammered in a 6' tall sturdy stake to which I've tied the plants as they grow taller. What do I do when the plants run out of stake space to support the main stems? Last year, the plants folded over on themselves with nothing left to support them. Is it a good idea to start "topping" each plant? All 3 are healthy and bearing profusly so far. If I cut the tops off, will that affect the plant's production for the rest of the season?

Comments (9)

• Bets
    14 years ago

Hi Pat,

Many people just let them fold back over. You have quite a bit of season left, so if you top them, you may be likely to reduce the growth tips that produce blooms. The plants would probably compensate by putting out more laterals, but that will take some time.

Are all 3 plants the same variety? If so you could try topping one and compare the results to the untopped ones.

Ultimately it is up to you.

Bets

• digdirt2
    14 years ago

Just let them drape back down as most do. It doesn't hurt them. I have 8-10' tall plants growing in 6 foot tall cages every year with no problems.

Dave

• oilpainter
    14 years ago

Do you remove the side branches. Removing the side branches encourages the plant to grow tall. On every plant the top branch is boss for growth, but side branches take away some of it's power. When you remove the suckers the top branch has free rein to grow tall

• organic_dusty
    14 years ago

Well you can get another tomato cage and invert it and tie it on with plastic tie wraps that is what we did.

Dusty

• missingtheobvious
    14 years ago

Some people use a stock panel (aka cattle or hog panel) and make an arch of it; I've seen photos of other veggies grown that way, possibly tomatoes too.

The panels are 16' long and 4-5' wide. By setting the two sides closer together or farther apart, you can have a narrow tall arch or a wider, lower arch. Theoretically gravity would pull a lot of the fruit to hang down inside the arch for easy picking (I think the wire is every 6").

Other people place a stock panel (or part of one) atop a framework for a flat support. It keeps the fruit off the ground, but I've seen some of these that were so low, I don't know how they harvested the fruit....

I think I've also seen panels slanted -- one long side on the ground, the other side propped up at a 45º angle or so.

You can also use pieces of concrete reinforcing wire (CRW), which has the same size holes.

Here is a link that might be useful: http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/vertical/msg0622582022244.html

• natal
    14 years ago

If you don't let them drape down it'll be a *itch trying to harvest without a ladder.

One of my Sun Golds which is probably 12-14 feet tall is draping down over the peppers on either side. Didn't plan it that way, but it's working out great giving the peppers some much needed shade.

• patlovesdirt
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thank you very much! I am so inspired by that cattle panel trellis and I wish, wish, wish I could go back in time one month. And to Missingtheobvious, thank you so much for that great link - I've bookmarked it for next year. If Bencjedi should happen to drop by this thread, I think you are brilliant and now I can't wait until next spring.

• missingtheobvious
    14 years ago

patlovesdirt, glad you liked it. There are so many intriguing ways to trellis and cage and support things. I'd like to try them all.