Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Sugar Ants??

Posted by ejh805 8b (My Page) on
Sun, Jun 17, 12 at 12:08

Hello again everyone.

I've got a small issue that I'm not sure if I should do anything about.

I've got a husky cherry tomato plant and a sweet banana pepper plant.
The cherry tomato only has two fruits on it because I got it planted late and the heat (90's)is preventing any of the dozens of flowers from pruducing.
The sweet banana pepper plant on the other hand is simply thriving in the heat. Maybe 2-3 new peppers starting up every morning.

This morning when I went out to water, I noticed tiny black ants crawling up and down the stems on the pepper plant. On the tomato plant they seemed attached to the forks on the stems. No marching lines.

I don't know the scientific name, but they're the kind of ants my mother and grandmother always called sugar ants or piss ants (lol).

Anyways, my question is should I leave them alone for the hope of possible pollination help? We don't have bees around here, nor strong wind very often. I do shake the plants daily but I'd gladly accept any help from mother nature.

OR should I find a way to get rid of them? As they may be sucking sugar out of the plants.

Thanks in advance for any help and advise!
-Emily

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Sugar Ants??

When it's too hot for pollination, that's because the heat makes the pollen unviable. Ants can't change that.

o

These are in containers? Or in the ground? I don't know why everyone always assumes we automatically know that when it makes such a big difference in the replies.

Ants, with the exception of fire ants, while they provide no pollination assistance, are normally not considered an issue in gardens but in containers they can pose a problem if you don't ID what is attracting them. If they set up a full colony in a container the roots can be badly damaged.

So if it is a container, move it to a different location and let it dry out as much as possible before watering it again since it is the moisture they are after. Even so far as to let the plant wilt a bit. The ants will leave. If the plants are in ground don't worry about it.

Dave

o

Thanks Dave.

I apologize for failing to mention that yes, they're in containers.

I'll do that and see if it works.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here