Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Transplanting tomatoes while fruiting

Posted by srg215 6b nj (My Page) on
Thu, Jun 28, 12 at 12:38

Ive got a couple of tomato plants that are starting to give lots of fruits. They are in 5 gallon pots. I noticed that roots are starting to come out of the bottom. I now have room in my garden for them. Can they be transplanted at this point? It's a better boy and an early girl.

Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Transplanting tomatoes while fruiting

Honestly you'd do better to clone those - root some cuttings from them - and plant the clones in your garden. Those in the pots would likely not survive the transplanting process now, especially since they are already root bound.

Dave

o

How do I clone them? Hoe big should the cutting be and how long does it take for them to grow? Will they make fruit by the end of the growing season?

o

See all the discussions linked below. Rooting cuttings (aka making clones) is a common practice. Many do it to replace damaged plants, to have more plants, and especially to have plants for the fall garden.

In 6b fall tomato plants are usually planted mid to late July so you have plenty of time.

Dave

PS: if you will go to your member page and fill out your profile then your zone/location will come up automatically on every post. That way we won't have to search for it each time. :)

Here is a link that might be useful: How to root cuttings dicussions

o

You can edit your member page by clicking on Member Pages in the green ribbon at the bottom of this page.

o

Thanks!

o

What about burying the pots?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here