Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
yellowing tomato leaves

Posted by organic_flutterby 5 MO (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 18, 14 at 12:46

This is my first attempt at growing tomatoes. I have them in a raised bed 4'x4'1' filled with mel's mix.

This one is a beefsteak. The lower leaves are turning yellow. I had already removed 3 or 4 branches before I thought to take a picture.

Is this something to worry about?

We have had several rainy days recently so it hasn't been without water. I haven't added any type of fertilizer.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: yellowing tomato leaves

How many plants do you have in that bed, and can you tell us what varieties they are?

o

I'm not sure what it is, but if they were mine, would definitely be spraying with a fungicide just in case. My fungicide of choice is Daconil.

BTW, very nice plants.

o

Thank you for replying.

I have 4 plants, each in a 1' square. I have this beefsteak, then I have 2 medium size slicing tomatoes (I don't know what kind) and then a cherry tomato.

I'm trying to stay organic, is Daconil organic?

o

• Posted by digdirt 6b-7a North AR (My Page) on
    Wed, Jun 18, 14 at 13:49

I have 4 plants, each in a 1' square...I haven't added any type of fertilizer.

Then when they are planted that intensively, that over-crowded - what is their source of nutrients? What is feeding them?

You are attempting Sq. Foot Gardening, correct? The plants still have to be fed and fed regularly. Especially after periods of heavy rain that dilute and wash out any nutrients in the soil

What soil mix, media are you using? Is this a new bed? If so then it has no active soil micro-herd, no bacteria to provide nutrients to the plants and you will have to supply them. There are any number of organic fertilizers and fungicides available but no Daconil is not organic

I don't see any signs of any disease issue in your photo but I do see plants that have been over-watered or over-rained and in need of feeding.

Dave

o

Thank you. I bought some tomato-tone and kelp meal for them. The mix is 1/3 compost, 1/3 vermiculite, 1/3 peat moss.
I don't like that they are crowded so much. Next time I will only put 3 in this space. Live and learn.

o

Daconil is not organic. Now might be a good time to research a good organic fungicide. Those are nice plants and it would be nice to keep them that way.

o

If you are ORGANIC, there is NEEM OIL .
I have both Daconil and Neem oils and use them both.

Yellowing and eventually aborting leaves is the plants natural response to its limited resources. Lower leaves get the pink slip first to reduce the burden on the plant.
A well fed young plant seldom will abort leaves.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here