Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lilsprout

Do you have to fertilize?

lilsprout
9 years ago

If plants are doing good setting fruit etc should you just let them be?

Mine are still small...although taking off now with the heat. They look great ( I know, it's early lol)

I would rather not use any if I don't have to.

Thanks!

Comments (2)

• digdirt2
    9 years ago

All plants need some source of nutrients to use throughout the growing season. No way to get around that part.

In ground soil, well amended prior to planting, soil that has lots of added compost, manured compost, and other organic forms of nutrients can do well all season if there is a an active soil food micro herd in the soil to digest the amendments and convert them to nutrients the plants can use.

New beds or soil that hasn't been well amended first, hasn't been well maintained over the years, has no active micro-herd etc. cannot feed the plants adequately and you have to supplement it regularly with N-P-K and the needed micro-nutrients. The only way to know what your soil needs is to have a soil test done.

Container grown plants is a whole outer ballgame.

So the simple answer to your question is yes, you do have to fertilize/feed your plants assuming you want them to be health and productive. How you do it is your choice.

Dave.

• lilsprout
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks Dave you are such a great help.

I did amend with some miracle grow garden soil to start. (I know some are against it) so about how long should I wait to fert? They look great right now, only been in the ground for about two weeks...

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES