Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
slc00

Who wants to know Big Zac parentage?

slc00
16 years ago

Who would like to know the parents of Big Zac?

This thread is to discuss potential varieties involved in the secret heritage of the giant hybrid tomato variety Big Zac.

I think it would be fun if we all put our heads together and share our observations about the varieties we grow to come up with some good ideas.

Background: Big Zac is a hybrid, you need to have the two parent varieties to get Big Zac seeds. Minnie Zaccaria of Long Branch NJ bred this variety for competition. She reached sizes over 6 lbs. She later sold the rights to Totally Tomatoes for making the seed available commercially. Now only Totally Tomatoes parent company and Mrs. Zaccaria have the right to know how to breed true Big Zac. But maybe, just maybe, this thread might produce some clues or ideas as to the possible parents of Big Zac.

Here are the hints so far:

Big Zac is a cross from two beefsteak type heirlooms

One parent was an heirloom passed down in her family, the other is a popular commercially available variety.

She has said she cares about large size but wanted taste as well.

My best guess is that the popular variety may be Delicious since she was breeding for size while keeping good taste. Perhaps the "family" variety is known for better taste.

Anyone have guesses as to the family heirloom variety?

Characteristics I have noticed in Big Zac:

Some blossoms (normally the first one) seem mutated or almost double. I have seen some that almost resemble dandelions. I also noticed that some blossoms on my Brandywine are also similar.

Fruit is pinkish red to deep red with yellowish/greenish shoulders.

The larger tomatoes are very heavily lobed. The more average sized seem to be oval and ribbed.

The flesh is very meaty, juice and seeds seemed to be in pockets rather than spread throughout the tomato.

The plant is regular leaved and fast growing right from the seedling stage.

So, anyone have any other inside info, clues or ideas?

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Capri Home Renovations
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars33 Reviews
Reputable Home Renovation Company Serving Northern Virginia