Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hilnaric

Sudduth's or OTV?

hilnaric
9 years ago

I'd like to try growing a Brandywine next season, but I'm not sure which would be the best choice for my area (about an hour north of Palm Beach, very near the ocean). Would Sudduth's or OTV be a better choice here? It would be container grown.

Comments (11)

• digdirt2
    9 years ago

Assuming a big enough container with a good soil-less mix used and proper feeding and watering regimens then it would make no difference. Oh and proper planting time which would be a big variable for your location as it would be very different than for most of us.

As with most all varieties, there are no geographical limitations on either. It is the growing methods used that will determine the end results.

That said, OTV does have a reputation for more production than Sudduth's while Sudduth's wins the taste test. But there are so many subjective variables in those conclusions that you can't put a lot of stock in them.

You might ask over on the Florida forum to see which the folks there have had more success with.

Dave

• carolyn137
    9 years ago

The variety Brandywine is a true Brandywine while OTV ( Off the vine) is an accidental cross between Yellow Brandywine and an unknown other parent that I was able to dehybridize the F1 to stability. OTV appeared in the garden of Craig LeHoullier in Raleigh and I had more room to grow it than he did out so did so.

Both are very good varieties, but for most Brandywine ( Sudduth/Quisenberry) does not set fruit well in the south while OTV does.

I'm sure you know most about Brandywine, but less about OTV Brandywine, so I linked to it below.

Carolyn

Here is a link that might be useful: OTV Brandywine

• hilnaric
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks, Dave. Yes, down here we're busy pulling everything out and cleaning up now, like y'all do in the fall.

but for most Brandywine ( Sudduth/Quisenberry) does not set fruit well in the south while OTV does

Yes, I had seen that in the TGS catalog, which is why I was asking. Thanks, Carolyn. I figured I might as well ask the authority. :)

• edweather USDA 9a, HZ 9, Sunset 28
    9 years ago

That was my question......whether they would set fruit in the intense humidity of Florida?

• carolyn137
    9 years ago

I forgot to mention that the problem Sudduth has in setting fruit is actually due to both heat ( pollen denaturation) AND humidity (pollen clumping), more so than many other varieties.

Which tastes better?

It all depends on where and when and how both are grown, Many think that Brandywine is THE best tasting variety, but I'm not one of them. I agree it has a unique taste, but there are a few other varieties that I think have a unique taste as well

So grow both in the same season in the same way so a direct comparison can be made.

Carolyn

• hilnaric
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks again, Carolyn.

• wardda
    9 years ago

I have grown OTV for a number of years now in southern NJ and it is right at the top of my list for flavor - right there with Dester. I also usually grow one of the pink Brandywines and as mentioned OTV tends to be more productive.

• seysonn
    9 years ago

If you are looking for PRODUCTION, then read the currently on going talks about Brandy Boy , in the thread started by Hudson. After reading and seeing pictures, I wish I was growing one of that. But too late for this season.

• Ohiofem 6a/5b Southwest Ohio
    9 years ago

Well, this is just anecdotal, but I grew brandy boy and sudduths last summer, which had ideal tomato growing weather, and the sudduths was way better in terms of growth and production. I'm growing both again this year, just to see what happens. But, I already have tomatoes showing on the sudduths with none showing on the brandy boy. I'm in southwest Ohio with high humidity, but far fewer days with temps over 90 than you get in Florida. I have noticed that people in the Deep South often complain about getting low production from brandywines.

• hilnaric
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks, wardda, seysonn, and Ohiofem.

Yes, I saw that thread, thanks, seysonn, and I'm in awe of the production, especially in Hudson's later photos. Most folks around here just grow celebrity or whatever bonnie plant caught their eye in the checkout line at HD, so it's hard to choose when you have very limited space and not much chance even to sample the fruit from other varieties.

• dodge59
    9 years ago

Well, I hope the OTV's taste better than they look.
    I have quite a few of them now that have blushed and I picked them~~~but they sure are ugly~~~but I'm anxious to taste them.

Gary