Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lane5_gw

Green Zebra - how to tell when ripe?

lane5
15 years ago

Anyone have good advice on how to tell if Green Zebra tomatoes are ripe? I've never grown this variety before. I have 4 plants in homemade earthboxes and one tomato has had the green striping now for a few weeks. It doesn't seem to be getting much bigger (mabye 50% larger than a golf ball) and I'm curious if it is ready to harvest.

Having only grown red/pink tomatoes, I usually know when it's fine to pick and eat. No idea on greens...

Comments (14)

• mr_potaohead
    15 years ago

I've read that you have to go by feel. When it gives a little like a ripe red tomato then it should be ready to pick.

I've got a huge Green Zebra going, about 7 feet tall, but I can only see 4 fruits developing. All with the tell tale green striping.

• wvtomatoman
    15 years ago

When the light green stripes turn yellow, or better yet by feel.

Good luck.

Randy

• spiced_ham
    15 years ago

You get a change from green to green with yellow to more yellow, and the flavor changes as it happens. You may find that you prefer the flavor and texture of greener vs. yellower fruits. You'll see a range of ripeness/colors on a single truss because not all the fruits set on the same day. For this reason I think its really easy to pick the flavor stage you prefer.

• jannie
    15 years ago

Gosh, I'm growing Green Zebra right now and I never thought of this. I guess if my other tomato fruits are getting red, then I'll have to assume GZ is ripe, too.

• kdawg
    15 years ago

The yellow stripes will actually start to blush pink from the bottom up when it's fully ripe. You can eat before they blush (many people do) but they will be sweeter, yet still tart when the blush happens.

I mention this, because I believe many people eat them before they're ripe and this is part of the reason people run so very hot and cold on this tomato. The other part of the reason is that it is very distinct in flavor somewhat tart and citrusy, and that's just not for everybody.

• msyoohoo
    15 years ago

I think that it is a personal preference when you might consider green zebras "ripe". I personally like them when they are still green and firm. Pick a green one and see if you like it!

• suze9
    15 years ago

I would also recommend going by feel. GZ may or may not color up for you quite like it has for others, depending on your growing conditions.

Personally, I've never gotten a pink blush with it, nor have I gotten the extreme (and very pretty) contrast in the striping that is possible. I basically just get a tomato with med to light green stripes. When very ripe, the lighter stripes will finally start to turn yellow for me, but at that stage, I find the texture to be mushy and the taste to be bland. Your preferences may differ.

• tomakers
    15 years ago

I think you have to go by feel. Mine turned slightly yellow in the stripes, but I found the softer they felt the better I liked them. I managed to eat almost all the production of 1 plant singlehandedly last year, so I planted 2 this year. Mine were quite late for some reason, but when they came I found I was eating mostly GZ to the exclusion of all except Earl's Faux.
    JMO,
    Tom

• vegjoe
    15 years ago

mine didn't show any pink in the stripes, either.

i picked when the stripes started to show yellow and the tomatoes started to soften a bit.

they kept well on the plant. those that i didn't see turning right away because they were on the interior of the plant were still good when i got to them.

• HoosierCheroKee
    15 years ago

If you like the tartness of Green Zebra, harvest by touch when the fruit first feels like a ripe tomato.

If you want a sweeter flavor with more fruity overtones, wait until the amber stripes color up.

Same goes for Lime Green Salad ... except maybe "amber smudge" is more applicable than "stripes."

Problem with waiting for the amber color is then the fruit adds a weird aftertaste to certain salads ... particular ones with tuna as an ingredient, IMO.

Slightly underripe, Green Zebra is fantastic on a crab cake sandwich!

• sunnyk
    15 years ago

Thanks for the heads up on the Crab Cake Sandwich/underripe GZ idea ...man I can not wait for ripe tomato time to get here LOL!!

• cristallbahl
    6 years ago

I was given three plants from a friend. Didn't know what kind, found out they grow green with stripes. Tried picking them when pink, they have a tough skin and lots of seeds but a good taste. Am I picking them wrong. Th skin is so tough.

• cristallbahl
    6 years ago

Also, She gave a plant that seems like a cherry, but grows purple and turns pinkish/red. Anyone know what that is.

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio