Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
I can't believe what a difference powdered evaporated milk made.

Posted by jon_z6b (My Page) on
Fri, Jun 8, 12 at 13:02

..on my tomato plants. Sort of knew I had a nutrient deficiency because I had sort of sickly light green foliage on most of my tomato plants. I'm not a big believer in fertilizer besides what the soil can provide but I did try a light dilution of miracle grow a few times with no effect. Well I had a big bag of powdered evaporated milk that I decided to sprinkle around my tomato plants- I wasn't real sure if it was going to kill them or what. I watered it in and I saw an immediate difference overnight. Now, three days later, I can't get over what a lush dark green it has made my tomato plants- such a huge difference from before. It is now my newest, most favorite, soil amendment- and probably cheaper than bone meal. I think it has better more immediate results as well. Has anyone ever tried this? It does sort of stink though, at least for the first day or two.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: I can't believe what a difference powdered evaporated milk ma

I think you have what is called a coincidence. There is no way IMO that the plant would have used up any nutrients in the milk overnight. You may have some nice cheese in about a week though.

o

Yeah, I should have took before and after pictures- but I didn't think of it.

o

Well, here's what's in milk (scroll down):
http://www.dairycouncilofca.org/Milk-Dairy/Nutrients-in-Milk.aspx

There's a little iron and quite a bit of potassium and phosphorus. It doesn't mention nitrogen; I've no idea to what extent milk would be a source of nitrogen (one of the things I think of when dark green leaves are mentioned).

I don't know enough to comment further.

o

Maybe the magnesium since epsom salts often produces similar results and they are well-documented unlike the milk. Unless you also left some control plants, some untreated in the same conditions, to compare with the treated ones there is no way credit it to anything other than coincidence since there are so many other variables that could just as easily have led to the change.

Dave

o

Protein is 16% N. There's a bunch of protein(36%) in powdered milk, so about 5.7%N. It's a high N relative to P and K. I don't know what caused the improved appearance of the roses.

o

Oops! Meant tomatoes. Just came form the roses forum.

o

Oops! Meant tomatoes. Just came form the roses forum.

o

• Posted by RpR_ 3-4 (My Page) on
    Sun, Jun 10, 12 at 4:07

If you used Miracle Grow in light dilution that is why it did not work.

Maybe the left over MG in the soil reacted with the milk powder and gave you a power shake.

o

• Posted by jolj 7b/8a-S.C.USA (My Page) on
    Sun, Jun 10, 12 at 12:54

Maybe the Miracle Grow did help, but it took time, because you used too little, which is better then using to much.
I have all I need in my coffee waste compost, but here is a recipe for tomato plants.
1 part bone meal
1 part corn meal
1/2 part powdered milk
1/4 part Epson salt
This is placed in the hole 1-2 inches below the plant, so it will not touch the plant.
I have these in my coffee waste compost.
3.46% N
C:N of 14.50
phosphorus 0.135%
potassium 2.199%
calcium 0.30%
magnesium 0.41%
sulfur 0.28%
zinc 20 ppm
copper 56 ppm
manganese 63 ppm
Iron 1315 ppm
Organic Matter 90.02 %
I do have a pound of bone meal, but have never open it.

o

Either way, I am glad to hear your plants perked up so nicely. A bit of a mystery but a good one.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here