Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What type of bugs?

Posted by tsheets 5 (My Page) on
Sat, Jun 21, 14 at 13:10

Not sure what these guys are, if they're good guys or bad guys.

I am guessing bad guys, but, not really sure.

I have been seeing them on my tomatoes mostly, but, they might be on other plants as well.

The pictures are pretty close as you can tell from the details of the leaflets, so they're really pretty small. They have some similar traits, so I wondered if they were different stages of the same bug.

Also, not shown, I have stink bugs (seen 2 so far, sure there's more).

Anyway, can anyone help ID these and what should I do about them?

bug on tomato plant 1 photo IMG_8218_zps938c531e.jpg

bug on tomato plant 2 photo IMG_8216_zps4aca5297.jpg

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What type of bugs?

The second photo is definitely an aphid. They can do some harm. Not sure what to do but I'm sure there are pesticides if you see a lot of them

o

Thanks, DBrown.

I have never had an aphid like that one before. But, there's a ton of different types of aphids. Good to know.

o

The first insect looks like a lacewing to me. That's a good guy!

The second is an aphid. Lacewings eat aphids.......

Linda

o

• Posted by digdirt 6b-7a North AR (My Page) on
    Sun, Jun 22, 14 at 11:47

Neither is a bad guy. Aphids can be if they are in large numbers and they can be blasted off the plant with plain water. Lacewing is definite good guy.

If no damage on plants and numbers are few, give anyone the benefit of a doubt rather than assuming they are bad.

Dave

o

• Posted by fori CA (My Page) on
    Sun, Jun 22, 14 at 11:52

First one is an immature grasshopper (or maybe katydid or tree cricket)--look at the hind legs.

Definitely NOT a lacewing (immature lacewings are ferocious-looking larvae and adults have, well, lacey wings) and definitely an herbivore.

o

Aphids, with wings, bend legs ?!?
I agree wit "fori" on Second one : grasshopper/cricket or something in that category.

o

Here is a link to an aphid photo for comparison. Wings and all.

Here is a link that might be useful: aphid photo

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here