Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Fall Tomato Question...

Posted by ReedBaize Stephenville, TX (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 18, 12 at 13:15

I am planning on planting one EarthBox for fall with three plants. I have seed on hand so, of the varieties I have, I was probably going to go with Sun Gold Hybrid and Jetsetter VFFNTA Hybrid. As one is a cherry and one is a hybrid I figured they'd work well. Thoughts? Suggestions?

These are the only two "early" varieties I have seed for but I'm not opposed to buying seed.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Fall Tomato Question...

I don't know if they would have problems growing together. But I do know they both grow into very large plants, so I would grow only one of each.

o
RE: Fall Tomato Question...

• Posted by jll0306 8/ Sunset 11/High De (My Page) on
    Tue, Jun 19, 12 at 1:40

I haven't grown either of the varieties you named, but from what OHIOFEM says, they may crowd each other out.Although this is my first year with EBs, I would say that you get the most productivity from the largest plants if you have only one per box.

However, what worked for me this spring was to plant two plants per box: with one being an early bearing determinate and the other a large indeterminate of either an early or mid season variety.

When the determinates had produced their fruit,I took them out and left each box to the larger plant. Even though many of the tomatoes were still green, they all ripened after I wrapped each one in newspaper for a week or so.

Jan

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here