Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hudson___wy

Tomato Propagation

hudson___wy
9 years ago

After reading other threads and a neighbor asking me if I had any more Brandy Boy starts (which we didn't) - I decided to give propagation a try - to see how it worked and to get a start for my neighbor. I didn't have high expectations because you know how quickly a sucker shrivels up and dies!

We used the planting direct in potting soil method and dipped the sucker in rooting hormone. We planted 2 - 6" suckers, 2 - 12" sucker and 1 - 16" sucker. Only one of the 5 suckers died. The larger suckers appeared easier to propagate than the smaller suckers.

This is how they looked the day we stuck them in the soil and how the looked approximately a week later.
{{gwi:290185}}

This is how the largest sucker looked the day we stuck it in the soil.

This is how they all look today - approximately 2 weeks later. It appears they have all rooted by one. I removed the one that didn't root to look at the stem - I could not see any roots on the sucker although they may have rotted along with the stem? Propagation is much easier and quicker than planting from seed! Great method for fall tomato plants!

Comments (7)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!