Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sue_ct

Container sizes and timing - too late?

sue_ct
14 years ago

I had several plants that were left over, didn't fit in the sunniest locations of the garden this year. I knew they wouldn't all fit (plus a couple of gift plants), so I left out the grape and cherry tomatoes, as well as two heirlooms that were duplicates of what went into the garden. I figured the grapes(red and yellow) and cherry (sweet 100) would fruit in pots. Yesterday I planted them into 16" pots that say they hold 1.25 cf of potting soil each. Was that big enough to get decent production from them?

I also have one mortgage lifter and one brandywine that are looking sad, tall and lanky, still in 4" pots. I have two very large round pots that are 22" across and quite deep so I could plant them deep to compensate for the lankiness. The late developing tomatoes often don't do well here in CT for me, prob because the season can be too short, and this year it is even worse, since there has been little sun in the past month. It is June before they can be safely planted then it goes into the 90s, slowing development a few weeks later. I am wondering if it would be worthwhile to plant those two in the large pots now. Then I could move them into the garage if an early frost threatens and maybe extend the season enough to get some tomatoes out of them. For that matter, I could also move them into shade when temps get into the 90s, which usually doesn't too long around here, say several days to a week at a time before it dips back into the 80s.

It would probably cost at least 20.00 in potting soil to fill those two pots, so I am wondering if it is worthwhile. Would the days likely just be too short by then? We are probably talking mid to late Sept before seeing fruit.

Don't usually do containers for toms so your opinion/experiences would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Sue

Comments (5)

• digdirt2
    14 years ago

The cherry and grapes, depending on the specific variety, are very big plants - indeterminates - and can easily top 6-10 feet under normal circumstances. Sweet 100 sure will. ;)

For that reason I'd use those 2 you already have planted as a good learning experience on growing tomatoes in containers and timing. Pitch the other 2 plants, and save the $20.00 or more.

JMO

Dave

• sue_ct
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks Dave. I have grown the red grapes in the garden so I know what you mean. I did put cages over them in the pots. I know I won't get as much, but I thought they probably had shallower root systems. Oh well, like you said, a learning experience in growing in containers. Actually, I could put those in the 22" containers once they start looking a little healthier. I think I could get away with one large bag of potting mix for 10-12.00 to add to each to each grape or one grape and the sweet100 to fill in the bigger pots, if that would do it. Since they usually fruit much quicker than any of the larger tomatoes I have grown, even early girl, I figured they would be the most likely to still be worthwhile at this point.

Sue

• tn_veggie_gardner
    14 years ago

Sue: What Dave says is good advice. Regarding your pot size, I use the containers that say they fit 1.25 cu ft of soil for large varieties & they work just fine. You havw to figure out a good cage/trellis method for them though. 1.25 cu ft = 10 gallon container. One of the $10 bags of MG will fill 2 of them up to that line where the pot extends out a cm or so.

- Steve

• sue_ct
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks Steve, yes the 1.25 cu/10 gallons (thanks for the conversion!) are already filled and I was able to get 4 pots out of 2 1/2 bags of soil. I was just wondering if I should move them out of the 10 gallon pots into what must be close to 15-20 gallon container (actually it is 24"w x 18"d)? Those I haven't used yet. I would take them out of the 10 gallon with that soil and add as much additional soil as necessary to fill up the larger container. No doubt supporting/containing them will be an issue eventually. Should the cages hold up, a big "if" down the road, they will have to grow up, over and down again the sides of the cage. I don't usually use cages in the garden, I always staked until this year, when I am trying FL weave.

So no benefit to the larger pot? I also thought it might make the cage more stable and I could add a center stake as well, inserted the full 18" deep.

Sue

• digdirt2
    14 years ago

You know me - I'll always vote for the biggest pot!! ;)

Dave