Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
anyone growing the RH Shumway free tomato this year?

Posted by lorimcp2006 5 (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 11, 12 at 13:33

I started a few and they look pretty good so far. I am guessing this is a hybrid though, I didn't mean to really plant any of those in the garden this year, but that's ok.

Anyone have an idea of what they are? I don't think my packet said much at all about the type.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: anyone growing the RH Shumway free tomato this year?

According to their website and catalog the free seeds offer varies from order to order but all are "common and popular varieties". In other words not everyone gets the same free seeds. So what is the name of the tomato seeds you got? I got Early Goliath with mine.

Dave

o

Mine do not have a name on the packet, just medium red determinate 70 day hybrid.

o

In that case, I'd call them and ask for the name of the variety they included in that packet. It could be any one of 100's of very different tomatoes or even a mix of several different varieties.

Dave

o

I didn't order anything from Shumway this year, but did last year and my free packet said the same thing. We planted some of them and they were quite prolific but terribly prone to BER. The ones we did harvest tasted pretty good, though. We actually have a couple plants again this year from last year's seed. Oh, and even though the packet said "Determinate" they lasted until frost got them just like my Indeterminates.

Edie

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here