Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Breakers / Blushers Anyone?

Posted by Cdon 7a (My Page) on
Fri, Jun 15, 12 at 13:36

Any of you mid-atlantic (or similar temp) gardners have any first breaking or blushing tomatoes yet?

My rule of thumb from last year was 37 days after I see my first (non-cherry) tomato, it breaks/blushes with the first hints of red. As its now 36 days from my earliest starts, im now on breaker patrol, and ive got my eye on one tomato in particular.

Its almost as if I can hear it in the garden, calling out to me...you know you want me...ooh is that some color, or am I just teasing you...

Ive probably been out to inspect that one tomato 6 times in the last 24 hours. Neighbors must think im crazy!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Breakers / Blushers Anyone?

I have an in ground early girl with a couple starting to get some color. I have been eating container grown better boys for 3 weeks now.

Two extremely late frosts killed almost all of my in ground tomatoes. Even though I covered them well.The early girl was one of 2 survivors.

o

I have a container Husky Cherry Red which is yellow-gold! Just found it yesterday, and I'm in shock.

o

I have lots of red boar, green zebra and Cherokee purples breaking. My 2 year old has been eating sweet 100's for a couple weeks but now that he can't keep up I get to share in the bounty.

o

I started picking my grape tomato's early last week. I've picked about 20 of my bigger tomato's so far.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here