Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
amazin10grace

Help. New to gardening!

amazin10grace
9 years ago

This is the fist time I've planted, well, anything. I'm pretty sure I started my tomato plants a bit too early, as they are about a foot tall. I'm planning on transplanting them outside this week. They are currently being hardened off. Question: I know I'm supposed to cut the bottom stems to bury them deeply but am I supposed to do that to my determinate plants as well?? Also, they all have a flower or two...should I clip the flowers off the both varieties at transplant time? Thanks for any info anyone can give me!

Comments (15)

• digdirt2
    9 years ago

Question: I know I'm supposed to cut the bottom stems to bury them deeply but am I supposed to do that to my determinate plants as well??

Hi Grace and welcome!

I hope you mean cut off the lower branches, not cut the stem? :) Do not cut the stem. As to the branches that will be buried below ground, you can snip them off of the stem or leave them. Either way works fine. And yes you can do the same thing with determinate plants. If your plants are about 12" tall I would bury them down about 5-6" down. And don't forget to put a stick or something similar in the hole right up against the stem to prevent cutworms. Lots of different things can be used - plastic straws, popsickle sticks, a big nail, small tree branch, etc.

Also, they all have a flower or two...should I clip the flowers off the both varieties at transplant time?

Snip off any blooms before transplant them and then when the next blooms develop just leave them alone.

Good luck with your plants.

Dave

• sleevendog (5a NY 6aNYC NL CA)
    9 years ago

Not sure what that means, "cut the bottom stems". You must mean the small side stems off the main stem...so yes, when you plant them deep...any small side shoot 'stems' can be pinched off...
    Depends on the seedling plant what to do as far as pinching off. A fat determinate ready for final planting in soil may not need or seem possible to plant deep...
    A flower or two may be pinched off....i do it if on a young seedling but i don't really get much of that this early...rarely at planting time that i recall.
    Many do pinch off early flowers to give energy to the early growing phase. Only at the time of final planting...
    Only a picture of your specific questions could be answered clearly...

Many very experienced here can give very clear advice with a pic.

A foot tale is not necessarily too big, : ).
    Poor planning on my part has resulted in some 2 footers...(not so good me thinks)

• amazin10grace
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for the replies! How many of these side stems should I cut at transplant time?

• digdirt2
    9 years ago

Like I said you don't have to cut any, just bury them. But if you want to then it is basically your choice. On the one in the pic I see 6 or 7 low branches that can be removed if the plant is planted 1/2 down. All depends on how deep a hole you want to dig. Or when they are that tall you can trench them in.

Dave

• centexan254 zone 8 Temple, Tx
    9 years ago

As a general rule I clip off the lower branches. I use my hand as a guide. I clip enough that I can wrap my hand around the main stem. I then clip off the ones that are close to the ground a couple of weeks later to prevent fruit set on the ground, and to let the stem get plenty of air circulation as well.

• edweather USDA 9a, HZ 9, Sunset 28
    9 years ago

I wasn't going to say anything, as you have already gotten good advice, but when I saw what nice plants you have I felt like a compliment was in order. In short, definitely not bad for a first time at 'anything.' Yeah, I'd probably trim a lower branch or two. It will open up the area at the bottom of the plant and will also make caring for it easier, ie watering, fertilizing, air circulation, etc. I'd probably leave that big yellow flower alone. Just my .02

• campv 8b AZ
    9 years ago

Nice plant newbie

• amazin10grace
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks everyone! I'll be happy if they actually produce fruit :)

• DHLCAL
    9 years ago

So, if the lower branches are not cut but instead just left on and buried, what happens to them? Do roots grow out of them? Do they just die and decompose?

• seysonn
    9 years ago

I agree. You have some very nice plants there.

But I were going to bury them additional 5-6" deeper, I would trim the 3 lowest branches (I call them leaves)

• digdirt2
    9 years ago

So, if the lower branches are not cut but instead just left on and buried, what happens to them? Do roots grow out of them? Do they just die and decompose?

Yes they just decompose. The advantage to leaving them on the plant is that you are not burying any fresh wounds open to any pathogenic soil bacteria there may be.

Dave

• amazin10grace
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Another question as I am very new to this... I'm still trying to figure out how, when, and how much to fertilize? I should mention these are all being grown in containers on my roof. I know I have to do it more often but not much elseI bought a bunch of organic fertilizers... Tomato tone, fish emulsion, seaweed emulsion and I also have worm castings. Should i get something else? What do I do?! :)

• edweather USDA 9a, HZ 9, Sunset 28
    9 years ago

It looks like you've been feeding them nicely in those cut-off milk jugs. I would say keep that going. Aside from that, granular organic fertilizers (like Tomato Tone) and controlled release fertilizers are better for inground planting. I also grow in containers and mainly use either liqiud or water soluble fertilizers that can be used immediately by the plant. I use a litle controlled release fertilizer in my containers once in the beginning of the season, but fertilize at 1/4 strength with a water soluble fertilizer with every watering throughout the season. Be sure to use a good fast draining container "mix," and not 'soil' in your containers. Check out the 'Growing in Containers' forum also. Lots of good information over there too.

• seysonn
    9 years ago

Edwater has good suggestions. When it comes to liquid/water soluble fertilizer I also do 1/3 to 1/4 strength with almost every watering. ( I keep reducing as the season gets older) This way you know what your plants are actually getting the right amoun almost regularly. Too much fertilizer either is TOO MUCH for the plants or most of it will end up beyond the reach of plants (= leaching)

OTOH: I suppose there are many ways to skin a cat.

• ditnc
    9 years ago

Nice looking plants, well done! Good luck with planting out.