Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Tomatoes that tolerate low light conditions

Posted by homegardenpa PA Zone 6 (My Page) on
Tue, Jun 8, 10 at 14:07

I've searched for this already with little success, and I know it's an unusual request, but I'm trying to find a fairly compact tomato that is tolerant of 4 or less hours of direct sunlight while still being able to produce. My sister wants desperately to grow a tomato of some kind, but lives in a city condo that only gets about 3-4 hours of direct sunlight on their balcony. She understands that she may get little to nothing out of the plant under those conditions, but she's just curious if it's even worth a shot. If she could get a handful or two of tomatoes out of it all season long, that would be fine.

I told her I didn't know, but I thought that maybe something small like a tumbling tom or the like, but she'd prefer a larger fruited plant (which I also mentioned is likely not possible). I'm sure there are people on here who have less than ideal sun conditions and get something out of it, if you have any experience or could make any recommendations, it would be much appreciated.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Tomatoes that tolerate low light conditions

Im also in a condo, and only get about 4.5 hours of sun, at peak season. This year Im growing Big Beef, Sungold, Druzba, Sweet Million, Tumbling Tom, Husky Red, Japanese Black Trifele, Black Cherry, Black Krim, German Black, and Black. All the plants are healthy, and Ive already picked a few tomatoes.

I would look for highly productive varieties with shorter Days to Maturity. Cherry varieties would be a great choice. Naturally, the plants may not grow as large, or produce as many flowers, and the taste may not be quite as good compared to 8 hours of sun, but at least your sister will have something! It wouldn't hurt to try ...maybe she could pick up a few transplants from the Farmers Market or nursery.

o

I only get about five hours of sunshine in my garden, but still managed an average of 24 tomatoes per plant last year. My highest yielder of beefsteak type tomatoes was German Head. Go for it.

TomNJ

o

Hey, don't feel bad. We';re not really getting ANY sun here in Seattle. I think we've had an hour's worth over the last two weeks!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here