Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
parupudi_gw

Spray for tomatoes

parupudi
15 years ago

Hi,

As i started seeing the large brown tomatoe worms on my plant,

yesterday i made a solution of 1 tbsp of Baking Soda, 1 tbsp of Vegetable Oil & 1 tbsp of Dish Washing liquid in 1 gallon of water and sprayed it all over the plant and especially the fruit.

I didn't see any worms for the last 3-4 days. But i noticed that my tomato plant leaves have become yellow. Did i do something wrong?

I read about the spray and then only i used it as an organic method. I generally use the garlic spray too.

Please advise.

Thanks

Pavani

Comments (7)

• lclark96
    15 years ago

the baking soda could have thrown the ph off maybe?/////////////////////

• buck1173
    15 years ago

just throwing this out there....

I've had flea beetles, and am afraid of fungal nasties after what I went through last year. so I spray once a week w/ Safer, a anti bug & fungal...

well, I sprayed last night, and today, every plant I sprayed has got bronzy leaves. Just where I sprayed.

I'm thinking I didn't use good judgment in this heat.... its probably just really pushing it heat wise for spraying stuff.... or perhaps the spray is old (it is a bottle from last year).

• kdawg
    15 years ago

what time of day was it when you sprayed? was it sunny? it's best to spray in morning or evening when there is no direct sunlight, or even the most benign spray can burn plants.

• tennandy
    15 years ago

I've been trying Safer brand insect soap(with seaweed extract) once every seven days for aphids and only spray in the evening it has worked wonders so far.

I would be leary of using dish liquid it's probably detergent! that would be more like using a degreaser compound than a soap.

• parupudi
    Original Author
    15 years ago

So, what kind of organic spray can i get for tomatoes?
    Can i use the Gralic Spray made at home from 1 Garlic bulb blended in 2 cups water, strained overnight and mixed in 1 Gallon of water?

How long is the season for tomatoe to fruit here in Texas?

• kdawg
    15 years ago

For common pests, many people have luck with neem oil and dish detergent diluted in water. Even just soap and water is often very effective. Not sure how well any of this works on worms.

As I mentioned before, the spray should be applied early in the day or later in the day and not when there is direct sunlight in order to avoid burning the plant.

I believe that hotter areas such as Texas have two growing seasons -- spring and fall. Summer is just too hot for fruit to set and also plants have a hard time with various diseases and pests. Right now is about the end of the spring season so it could soon be time pull your plants and start some new seedlings. Of course someone actually from the area can and will probably give you more specific info.

• digdirt2
    15 years ago

For aphids: I use 1 tablespoon of Dawn dish soap in 1 gallon of water, lightly mist the insects, do NOT drench the plants, and I only spray in the early morning or after sundown. Too much of any spray especially if sprayed in the bright sun will hurt the plants.

You can use the garlic spray if you wish following the same rules but I have never found it to be as effective. Safer Insecticidal soap spray is organic I think and seems to work well.

But your problem is the "worms" you said - actually they are most likely caterpillers (moth larvae). The soap and/or garlic sprays aren't really for them. You need Bt dust or liquid for them. Bt is sold under several brand names, the most common is Dipel.

Dave

Here is a link that might be useful: Bt Dust Info

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!