Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Homemade Baking Soda Spray Now Black Spots!

Posted by nmab05 California (My Page) on
Sun, Jun 10, 12 at 14:27

I made a homemade spray for my tomatoes for early blight with baking soda, water, oil and dish soap. I removed the yellowing leaves and then sprayed the remaining with the mixture last afternoon. I went out today to find black spots forming on the leaves. I'm thinking their frying in the sun so I placed under an umbrella for shade until I can figure this out.

Any ideas?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Homemade Baking Soda Spray Now Black Spots!

If it's truly Early Blight ( A solani) your homemade baking soda spray is not going to help. The Cornell recipe, which I don't think has any oil in it, is OK for use on ornamentals but not on tomatoes.

Since I've never used baking soda on tomatoes I don't know if they are frying but I wouldn't expect individual black spots if they were. Rather, since you coated the leaves I'd expect to see whole leaves going south.

What you need is a good anti-fungal if you know that the disease is a foliar one caused by either Early Blight or Septoria Leaf spot. Neither of which actually have spots that are truly black, but the foliage diseases caused by Bacterial Speck and Spot do give black spots. And being bacterial anti-fungals don't work.

Carolyn, who also suggests that really nothing should be sprayed on tomato foliage, with few exceptions, when the sun is high in the sky b'c it can burn the leaves.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here