Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
thebutcher_gw

What kind of Leaf Damage is This?

thebutcher
10 years ago

Hi All,

I noticed this leaf damage in the photo (Both photos of are the same plant, just different angles and height).

I fertlized them 4-5 days before with (Miracle-Gro Water Soluble Tomato Plant Food). I use it with a plain 1 gallon water container (the milk jug type). And when I apply it to the plant I kind of shake it rapidly to try let it spray a bit on the leaves. Then I pour the the rest at the bottom and use 1 gallon per plant and 1 Tablespoon. (And I know I need to get t a real watering jug or sprayer soon). I do this to all of my 4 plants in containers where I noticed the problem But only on this one.

One thing I remember is that I may of put more of a doze then required per gallon. I only mention this is because the other plants don't really seem to have a problem at all and maybe this is the start of a problem? And this plant in the photo is the one that I water last and get lazy and usualy just pour the rest of the jug on the roots a bit sloppy.

The weather conditions this past week were strong downpours everyday/ other day. But not as much rain we got 2 weeks before. OVer

The variety is Ramapo F-1
20 Gal Fabric Dirt Pot
4th time Fertilizing
All plants get about 7-8 hours of direct sunlight.

Thanks all,

And one more thing, if it is a leaf fungus, will 1 tbs of baking soda per 1 gallon of water help with it? Or do I need to buy Fungicide if that is the issue?

- Mr Beno

Comments (6)

• drewbym
    10 years ago

No matter what it is, the first thing you should do is cut out those parts of the plant that appear effected. That way if it is an infection of some sort you might be able to minimized it's transfer to the rest of the plant and/or other plants.

Are you sure the fertilizer was completely dissolved in the water before you did your fertilizing routine? If some of it wasn't and landed on that leaf, it might explain the spot. Maybe...

• thebutcher
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you Drew.

I think could probably be it if not another. But I just got back with a 2 gallon watering container from a garden center and will take my time fertilizing and making sure it is dissolved..

Previously my method was filling a 1 gallon ordinary water jug and using a plastic spoon to put MG Fert in, and I remember with that spoon, it was hard to fit in the "jug hole" and some went on the outside of the water jug (typical gallon of milk jug). I would then just put the cap on it and use a little wrist shake around. And towards the end which was with that plant I was being sloppier with disolving it.

I will defintly remove the damaged leaves ASAP incase of something elsee and before I fertilize it properly with my new 2 gallon water can and I will snap photos for docementation.

Many thanks again,

- Mr Beno

• edweather USDA 9a, HZ 9, Sunset 28
    10 years ago

Yes definitely remove the affected leaves, and IMO spray with a fungicide. I've had very little noticeable fungus this year, but have already sprayed twice for preventative measure because of all the rain and damp conditions.

• thebutcher
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks Ed and all again, I removed those leaves and I am going to make a stop at one of those big box stores and get fungicide next week and maybe some folliage pro. This photo was right after I fertlized with the new water container.

Thanks again,

- Mr Beno

• edweather USDA 9a, HZ 9, Sunset 28
    10 years ago

Sounds good. Just curious, how much mix is in the grow bag, looks to have compacted a bit? Are you staking, and is that the stake in the bag? If it is, I don't think the one stake in the bag is enough, you might want to consider adding a stake or two outside the bag, or add a cage over the whole thing.

• thebutcher
    Original Author
    10 years ago

It is about 3/4's full, it looks different because it is on a slope. I plan on adding a bit more to them when I make my next batch. It didnt shrink too much but the other (Timberline did, but I only have 1 in there). Also they are producing well now each one has about 10-15 golfball to racquet ball size tommaters and the 4th of july plant is starting to blush with a few.

As for the stakes they are the 1 inch 6 footers (rubber green around the metal). I have a few more but when it get's the final landing spot, I will ad probably 2 more. Out of the 4 in containers I have 3 also in ground (1 (4th of july), 1 more ramapo & Black Krim) and behind them where it gets more light later in the summer I just added 2 Kellogg Beafstakes in 16 gal rubermaid containers..not shown here in the pic).

The whole problem is that we have a huge pine tree that is tall as our house and taking up some of the sunlight. Also I am putting about 15 (5 Gallon) Hot peppers if I can find room when I get the containers this upcoming week..

So I guess what I am trying to say is that I am going to change the setup next week and make more mix (I need it anyway for them Peppers). I could probably even do a Florida weave with all the tomatoes possibly?

The downside of my yard is that slope and it becomes heavily water logged 1/4 way down the yard (But I think putting the black mulch with containers sitting on it may solve my growing space as you can see in the photo.

(Remember that Black mulch I bought and thought it was Pine Fines Ed lol...Well anyway I think I found a good use for it and that was to level it for the containers.) :)

Sorry for rambling and thanks so much for the great help along with everyone else.

- Mr Beno

Sponsored
KA Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Industry Leading General Contractors in Columbus