Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sonulya_gw

Tomato transplants problems

sonulya
9 years ago

Hello,

I am fairly new to gardening and am experiencing some problems with my tomatoes which I transplanted into the garden on May 24, so a little under 2 weeks. They are in a new raised bed which is filled with a mix of top soil and composted cow manure and other compost. I fed them a couple of days ago with tomato tone because my research showed that they may be underfed.

For starters, the leaves are yellow and seem weak. Also, the leaves on some plants have holes in them. I have found some tortoise beetles on a few of them but not all the wholes look like they've been eaten by something.

I appreciate all advice! I am just not sure whether these guys will recover from their ailments or if should pull them and restart. I grew them from seed and it would be so disappointing to lose them!

Comments (14)

• zzackey
    9 years ago

I wouldn't pull them out. I'd take off the bug eaten leaf.

• fireduck
    9 years ago

You are going to be fine. A good "general" type pesticide would be fine to spray. Generally, lower/older leaves often turn yellow and get removed after a couple of weeks or so. Two things: make sure you do NOT get the leaves wet when watering....especially when the sun will not dry them up immediately. Also, many hours (6 minimum) of direct sun is needed for maters.

• sonulya
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you for your responses. So they don't look like they are suffering from anything other than the tortoise beetles? The new leaves that are coming up are also not a bright green but a pale green.

That spot gets a lot of sun. I successfully grew 8 tomato plants in that part of the yard last year.

• sleevendog (5a NY 6aNYC NL CA)
    9 years ago

They look fine...the weather is about to kick in warm the next few weeks.
    Check early morning and get one of those bugs in a baggie so you can clearly identify it and do the proper method of getting rid of them. Do a search and first try the least offensive method...might be as simple as a bit of gentle soap in a spritzer.
    A bit of leaf munching will not hurt at this point. Just pick them off and find out what keeps them off.
    How deep did you plant? Don't need to start over but looks like they could have gone in 6 inches deeper...
    No hurry now, but soon, when the weather warms up, you might want to use a light mulch right up to and around the base, thick. I use clean straw. I like to keep the lower leaves off the soil surface.
    You will need some supports. avoid tapping in a stake close to the stem....it will injure the growing roots. Once they take off you will need a plan....best to take care of that now. The few i have in the ground are about like that and i have them with a first loose tie already.
    Just to keep these thunderstorm rolling around from beating them up.

-i always start more seeds than i have room for just in case...a bit of insurance.

• edweather USDA 9a, HZ 9, Sunset 28
    9 years ago

Yellowing also can occur from overwatering. Tomato Tone is fine in the long run, but maybe you could supplement with a liquid or water soluble fertilizer so they can feed right away, they look a 'little' under fed.

• sonulya
    Original Author
    9 years ago

@sleevendog Thank you for your response. I planted them lying down up to the bottom leaves and they've really perked up and grew taller. I was going to try the florida weave method of supporting them this year. I 8 plants in that bed and a stake on the end and between every two. I didn't want to start supporting them until I was sure they would survive but I will start putting on string this week. The bugs are definitely tortoise beetles. They unmistakable look like tiny turtles. I've never seen anything like this before. I have a bit of a blurry picture of it

@edweather Thank you for your input. I will look for some liquid fertilizer. I am afraid to over feed too now that I've put the tomato tone down too.

• sheltieche
    9 years ago

It is hard to judge by photo colors, but if I accept it as real color, yep, it is way off healthy one, also hard to give advice not knowing what your fertilizer program is and what did you put in the soil.
    I favor foliar applications a lot, specifically when you prepared your soil very well but plant is not uptaking all the goodies yet. Takes really very little to change the game.

• seysonn
    9 years ago

Now that you have identified the bugs, go ahead with the treatment.

You plants are healthy but weak. They need some shot in the arm (i.e. liquid ferts) Once they take off, the insect damage is going to be a minor problem, IMO.

9 years ago

I've got the same beetle. I've never seen them either. I've been calling them 'hovercrafts'. They seem to just slowly hover and feed. I've been sliding them off into a baggie i keep next to the starts outside. They don't budge when touched so easy to take control of their feeding...

We are soaked right now with lots of rain so it may be headed your way...
    Days ahead look dry and warmer evenings...
    Tomato-tone side dress or Neptune is a good suggestion.

What would be a proper application for the beetles?
    Did i miss that above?

My beetle-mania...

9 years ago

I think i'll just use a bit of SaferSoap...after things dry out a bit. Just found only one this morning.
    Not even feeding...just sitting. And i'll keep an eye on the troops if more are to come.
    I have a hot pepper/garlic/soap mix i use on hostas for deer repellant. I don't think Neem is necessary at this point?
    Traveling all starts to the mountains this afternoon or am tomorrow and don't want to take a colony with me if they are breeding in the soil?...(not sure about the life cycle of the tortoise beetle)

9 years ago

I think i'll go wash my hands now...

(kidding)

Here is a link that might be useful: tortoise beetle

• sonulya
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I will give them some neptune fertilizer this weekend and see how they do. It rained all day today, so they are definitely not under watered. Hopefully the rain will wash away some of the bugs.

@sleevendog yes, they sound pretty disgusting. From what I read, there really isn't much that can help with these critters but that they also don't cause too much damage to tomatoes. Here's me hoping.

• cold_weather_is_evil
    9 years ago

Don't be quick to remove a leaf from a tomato plant that's looking like it's short of leaves, just because the leaf has a hole in it. It isn't a beautiful leaf thing, it's an edible fruit thing. Like sunlight, the plants need all the leaves they can get.

That dirt looks like it came out of a bag. Are you sure it's "cow" and not "steer"? Steer manure is problematic if used any quantity other than a light dressing. It's a salt thing.

• nanelle_gw (usda 9/Sunset 14)
    9 years ago

I would also check for a pH or soggy soil/drainage problem.

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio