Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
edweather

Anybody with ripe tomatoes in Z5 yet?

Stupice has delivered on schedule again. Started these from seed on March 15, planted out May 1, vine ripe June 30. Just curious if anybody else in Z5 has ripe tomatoes yet?

Comments (12)

• labradors_gw
    9 years ago

Yup.

Sungold, Jagodka and Early Annie. Mind you, they were started in February!

Linda

• organic_flutterby
    9 years ago

I had only 1 ripe cherry tomato, Gardener's Delight.

I started mine in Feb too.

• sheltieche
    9 years ago

Besides Minibel which I started as indoor tomato, Sunsugar F1 got first fruit colored in my main veggie location and Moravsky Div out of containers setting. Time frame just about like yours, Sunsugar went into WOW April 26.
    Jaune Flammee and Matina went straight into garden May15 but they have yellow tint so should be shortly and thus the earliest of all...

• seysonn
    9 years ago

Good for you Ed
    USDA zone numbers are meaningless, when it comes to summer gardening. What happens between the LFD in spring and FFD in fall is irrelevant to USDA zone numbering system.
    Case in Point:

Seattle , WA, Dallas Tx, Atlanta Ga all are in USDA zone 8 but Seattle is a world apart. So far in this season our night lows have stayed under 56F, so far. To morrow night is forecast to climb over 60F mark, that is in July.

Despite of all that I have tomatoes in the verge of color break. I did a few things, from early warming soil, hoop, cold frame, early planting (from about April 6 to early May) .

But on the positive note my chard and lettuce, snap peas are doing just fine.

• ZachS. z5 Platteville, Colorado
    9 years ago

'I have one that I think I will pick tomorrow or the next day and another on the same cluster that has just started turning from green to yellow. Course, that was from the plant I didn't pinch the flowers off, so, it cheated and got a head start.

• green_go (Canada, Ontario, z 5a)
    9 years ago

My Latah tomatoes started to show some color - I think, it will be ready in a week.
    But I sowed seeds sort of late on March 23.
    Next year, I will start my Latah few weeks earlier than the rest of my tomatoes to get earlier crop.

• 2ajsmama
    9 years ago

I didn't start anything until March 29 - and some as late as April 17. When did everyone plant out?

• jonathanpassey
    9 years ago

I started my tomatoes from seed on the 15th of March and planted them outside on May 3rd under Low tunnels.

The tunnels stayed on for about 3 weeks and on two nights I even put a tiny space heater in there because we had lows in the mid twenties on mother's day weekend.

I have had some unexpected results. Italian Heirloom 2 days ago:

Today:

60 Days...

Contestants for runner up:

Kosovo:

Black Krim:

Cherry Roma:

Oddly, Park's Whopper which is supposed to be earlier than all of the above is still perfectly green.

JP

• edweather USDA 9a, HZ 9, Sunset 28
    Original Author
    9 years ago

JP, ....space heater in the tunnel. Now that's cheating :-).

Nice move.

• jonathanpassey
    9 years ago

Ed,

Cheating is what we gardeners do. its not like we just wait for our tomatoes to sprout along with the rest of the weeds.

plus, my baby tomatoes were irreplaceable at that point. the heating bill was nothing.

JP

• edweather USDA 9a, HZ 9, Sunset 28
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Only kidding John. Yours are the best tomatoes in Z5 so far this year that I've seen. Thumbs up.

• sleevendog (5a NY 6aNYC NL CA)
    9 years ago

That is impressive! Would love a BLT on the 4th of July...
    (Might need to replace the heater with an ac unit this year.)

Looking at my garden notes this morning i noticed in 2005 i had first blush July 25th and two full salad beds thriving...
    Way ahead of that this year but nothing near what you have. But i'm NY5a in a mountain altitude valley...warming up and don't think i'll have salad much longer....

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus