Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
brandyvill

Would it be worth it to move my garden for 1 more hour of sun?

BrandyVill
9 years ago

Hello, GW!

I recently moved into a new house that has a yard with no area that receives more than 6 hours of sunlight. The house is surrounded by trees and almost forms a canopy over the house. I currently have my tomatoes and cucumbers planted in an area that receives 4 hours of direct sunlight from 10 AM to 2:00 PM. I am worried that my cucumbers and tomatoes will not do well in this area due to the lack of sunlight and I am considering moving them next year to an area in my yard that receives 5 to 5 1/2 hours of sunlight. The problem I do not like about the area is that it is much smaller and it is directly in front of the house. However, if the extra hour of sunlight will make a difference, I would definitely move them. I am also considering planting them in big containers on my deck next year, since the deck area receives a good 7-10 hours of sunlight.

Does anyone have any advice regarding this matter?

If it helps, I have 2 German Johnson Tomato plants growing, and 1 Better Bush Tomato Plant growing as well. And for cucumbers, I have 3 Baby Persian Cucumber plants and 2 Armenian Cucumber plants.

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!