Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hockingapple

Watering Container Tomatoes?

hockingapple
9 years ago

I usually plant my tomatoes in the ground but am trying an experiment this year with growing them in 5 gallon buckets. They are not self-watering, I have a drip irrigation set-up that waters each plant individually. Some of the plants are almost 2 months old since planting now, are very large, have a lot of tomatoes (not ripe yet), and are a little shocked at this earlier than normal serious heat in southeast Ohio. I am too. It's only been in the last week and a half or so that they were needing water every day instead of every 3rd day or so. The last few days they're needing water multiple times per day.

What is the "best" routine for watering container tomatoes? It looks like, based on the last few days experience, that watering them once per day until run-out of the bottom holes, isn't enough with high temps in the low 90's. Would it be better to give them two medium size drinks per day instead of one big one? Three? Four? Is there a best time of day to do the watering so they'll get the most use out of it when they really need it most?

Thanks.

Comments (8)

• seysonn
    9 years ago

Watering containers depends on several factors, IMO.

1- Container Size: With 5 gal. bucket I would think twice a week.
    2- Climate: If highs are in upper 80s or higher, maybe every other days.
    3- Location and Sun: If they are getting a lot of direct sun ( 8 hrs ++) then every day.
    That is assuming no rain. Thou in a 5 gal. bucket with lots of foliage you cannot count on rain very much. But a good 2 inch ++ rain you can skip watering.

This post was edited by seysonn on Wed, Jun 18, 14 at 19:04

• digdirt2
    9 years ago

The goal is to maintain relatively consistent moisture levels in the container rather than the extremes of real wet followed by very dry and back to real wet.

Bigger containers make it much easier to do than 5 gal buckets. But it can be done with a drip system and an automated timer. But it takes some experimenting as it depends on the size of your drippers, # of drippers per container, size of containers, potting mix used,etc. So there is no 1 size fits all.

For example my container drip system with 1/2 gph drippers is set to run 10 mins every 4 hours from dawn to dusk when the weather is quite hot. But those are for 10 gal containers with 2 drippers each. My 20 and 25 gallon containers use 2 1 gph drippers and are set to run 30 mins every 5-6 hours depending on the temps.

So a general guideline is "less water at a time but more frequently" as needed if that helps.

Dave

• hockingapple
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Dave, that is good information, thanks. I was thinking "less water, more often" might be the better option but didn't know for sure. It sounds also like you don't do any watering between dusk and dawn (at night)?

By the way, what type/brand timer are you using? I got an "Orbit" brand digital timer from Wal-Mart and it has a setting for every 6 hours but either I'm not using it right or it's malfunctioning because the timer will only go off on the "start time" setting, the other times I have to push the "manual" button.

• digdirt2
    9 years ago

No not at night. On at 5am and off at 10 pm.

Mine is a Melnor that runs 3 different systems.

Which Orbit model do you have? Most of them I have looked at allow for at least 2 cycles.

Dave

• Ohiofem 6a/5b Southwest Ohio
    9 years ago

I grow my tomatoes in 20- and 25-gallon containers. I give them a good soaking every other day in high heat. That probably means they get about 5-8 gallons every other day. The smaller the container, the more often you need to water. I can't use a drip system so I can't advise on that.

• fireduck
    9 years ago

Hock...I think you have most the battle won already...just by the nature of your question. I think you get it. There are so many variables...each respondent with a little different spin. I would also recommend not getting the leaves wet, and use a free-draining potting mix (too late to change). That helps eliminate muck in the bottom (I also wick most of my containers). My inexpensive moisture meter really does work well.

• seysonn
    9 years ago

Where Does The Water GO ?

Let us take a 5 gal bucket as an easy example.
    You full watered it, meaning a 100% saturation.

Lets say that 5 gal. dry potting soil (zero moisture) needs ONE gallon of water to become fully saturated. How about 1/2 gallon?

Now, what happens to that amount of water ? Being a plastic, very little or nothing can be lost due to evaporation. Then any loss must be due to the plant's taking it up and evaporating.

I DON'T THING PLANT CAN EVAPORATE that much water in one or 2 days. Your Mileage May Vary.

So in reality (IMO) when you think you are watering your plant, you are actually giving it a bath, a cold shower to cool it down a bit.

• sharonrossy
    9 years ago

Another point, you need to continue to fertilize frequently as well, a diluted solution every couple of days. Dave and Ohiofem can verify that. I don't have a drip irrigation system either and I can't attest to it, but I think you can fertigate at the same time? I use 15&20 gallon grow bags and when it's really hot I water once a day at the very least if not twice a day.
    Sharon

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!