Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gtnate

How to use Fish Emulsion

GTNate
12 years ago

I bought fish emulsion fertilizer this year as a recommendation from a friend, and am wondering how to properly use the stuff for my tomatoes. I understand that I must dilute the emulsion according to the instructions on the container, but once I have the liquid fertilizer, how should I apply it to the plants?

I have read some places that I should actually pour the liquid over the plants, drenching the leaves. I would like to know if this is correct, as I have also read that you want to avoid getting the leaves of your tomato plants wet.

And another question, should I add fish emulsion throughout the growing season? I have read that this is the case. However, I have also read that too much N will give you big green plants with no fruit. Since the makeup of the fish emulsion is 5-1-1, I wonder if I should only apply it once or twice at the beginning of the season (along with a more balanced fertilizer), and then go with only the more balanced fertilizer once the blossoms and fruit start to come on.

One other thing, does any of this change for tomatoes in containers vs those in the ground?

Thanks for any advice.

Comments (29)

• karendee
    12 years ago

I think you can use it as a spray for the leaves etc.

I just watered my plants today. I soaked the ground first with just water. Then I mixed the fish fertlizer and poured on each plant. I did not soak the leaves this time but I might next time.

Try a search on the subject. I found a lot of info. This year was my first time with the Fish Fert. It is very smelly and mine says it is deodorized. YUCK.

I did spray the leaves of some of my flowers with it last week. It is just too hot to spray plants leaves today. I am afraid I might burn the leaves.

Good luck!
    Karen

• digdirt2
    12 years ago

I wouldn't use it as a foliar (dump on the leaves) feed without diluting it by at least half or even more. Foliar feeding can be quite effective but it also can be very tricky if you have no experience with doing it. It is easy to damage the plants as many have discovered.

You dilute heavily, mist lightly (never drench), and only do it out of the direct sun and not in the heat of the day.

The most common way, and I would argue the best way, to use fish emulsion fertilizer is as a soil drench just as one would water the plant.

As to how often to use it? That all depends on if the plants are in ground or in containers and if in containers how big the containers all. As is often discussed here, container plants need regular weekly or every other week feedings depending on the container size. In-ground plants also need regular feeding through the season but not nearly as often.

It is just as possible to over-feed with fish emulsion as with any other form of fertilizer.

Dave

• jimster
    12 years ago

I believe soil application is more effective than foliar feeding.

Fish emulsion is less economical than most other fertilizers, but I like to use a weak solution of it for the first few feedings of my seedlings. Being a product of the sea, it has a little of just about every known mineral. My seed starting medium has no nutrients prior to applying the fish emulsion.

Jim

• homegardenpa
    12 years ago

I've used it as both a foliar feed and a soil drench. For a foliar feed, I dilute to about 1/4 strength. I usually only do a foliar feeding as a little bit of a boost after initial fruit set. I add it to the soil as a drench throughout the season, every month or so if I feel they could use it, but I definitely don't stress about it.

I like to keep some around each year because liquid organic fertilizers are few and far between. It does wonders for the roses in what little experience I have using it on them, and the garlic and asparagus seem to like it as well. My tomatoes have always done well with it, and on the years I skipped using it, you could tell (at least I feel I could) the difference in the fruits. I wouldn't say it's a magic bullet, but fish emulsion can be a great thing if you're into organic gardening.

• karendee
    12 years ago

"I believe soil application is more effective than foliar feeding."
    This is good to know. Since this is all I have done with my tomatoes.

I sprayed some flowers with a weak solution so they should be ok. I hope the bunnies hate the smell and stop eating my Rudbeckias. lol

I also diluted my mix quite a bit. I was not sure if my plants even needed fertlizer since I planted them all with worm compost. I figured it would be easier for me to water them with a lower strength right now and see how well it works. I figured I could always water them with the fish fertlizer more often at a lower strength if necessary. Might be the wrong thing to do but I am learning. :)
    I think I was doing about 1/2 strength.

Karen

• jimster
    12 years ago

"I believe soil application is more effective than foliar feeding."

This statement is based on the reasoning that roots are "designed" to absorb water and minerals. Foliage has a different function.

I believe leaves are capable of absorbing small amounts of liquid. In fact, I once did an experiment to find out. There was an effect but it was negligible. That also supports my belief that foliar feeding is not very effective. When good growth results from foliar feeding, I'm inclined to think it is a result of fertilizer dripping into the soil. My experiment controlled for that.

Jim

Here is a link that might be useful: Foliar Feeding Experment

• karendee
    12 years ago

Thanks for the info Jim. I learn more everyday.
    Karen

• heirloomjunkie
    12 years ago

This was really helpful, as I am planning on trying it this year too. Any plants it shouldn't be used on??

Kim

• 2ajsmama
    12 years ago

Anybody know if it will attract bears? We have a bear problem as it is, I don't it to start digging up my plants looking for the fish!

• GTNate
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks for the great info. I think I will just stick to using fish emulsion as a soil fertilizer as opposed to foliar.

Nate

• dcarch7 d c f l a s h 7 @ y a h o o . c o m
    12 years ago

Hello Jimster, fancy seeing you here.

I am not sure how I got here. Haven't been in this forum in a long while.

I have not done any studies regarding foliar feeding, because from the start I just can't understand how it can work. Not very scientific, I know.

I can't see how thru millions years of evolution, plant leaves have specialized the entire biology in converting solar energy and CO2 to food, all of a sudden it can take over some of root's functions.

I can't see how the two dynamics for liquid/chemicals movements, namely osmosis and capillary action can make it work.

Osmosis makes liquid move from less concentrated to more concentrated. If you spray a more concentrated solution on the leaves it can only draw liquid out.

The roots move liquid from the bottom to the tips of the plants. The hydraulic pressure is always greater going in one direction only. How does the plant know, "OH, I feel fish emulsion on the leaves, let me reduce the pressure so that flow can be reversed"?

dcarch

• Phildeez
    12 years ago

I like to combine kelp emulsion with fish emulsion for a little higher P and K ratio and more micronutes.

• buford
    12 years ago

A lot of people on the rose forum use fish emulsion in a spray. I have tried it, it's hard to tell if it made a difference (except for the SMELL). I've always doubted the foliar feeding theory, whether it's fish emulsion or compost tea. Maybe having it on the leaves acts as a slow release because it's washed into the ground each time it rains.

I have read that some on the rose forum bury fish heads/guts in a hold and then plant a rose on top. That would tell me that root feeding is superior to foliar :)

• elight
    12 years ago

I have three SWCs, two with a tomato plant and one with a pepper plant. All are in 5-gallon buckets. I have started mixing a gallon of water with 2 tablespoons of fish emulsion (as is recommended on the bottle), and then top-watering the three plants with it, splitting the mix evenly between them.

I have no idea if this is the right amount of fertilizer per plant, as the bottle recommends one gallon per 20' or something to that effect. Would be interested to hear what others think.

• xraychic
    9 years ago

My question is, do I need to use a tomato fertilizer in between feeding with fish emulsion? I only use the fish about once a month like the label says. Most of my tomatoes are in containers. I'm not sure if the tomatoes could use more fertilizer.

• seysonn
    9 years ago

What is the analysis of this stuff in terms of N. P. K, Mg, Ca, ...?
    It must be very watery that you can spray it directly on plants.

I have found out that in fertilizing what a plant needs are : N. P. K, Mg, Ca. It does not matter where those comes from, fish, cow, horse, chicken, compost, sea weed, ..I buy and use what is :
    (1)Economical , (2) Relatively convenient to apply.

The MG in those pouches , in 5 lb can, costing about $11 with 24-8-16 analysis is the best deal around. That is 48% pure fertilizer. So you are paying $4.50 per pound of PURE ferlilizer, not counting the filler.

I can foliar feed with any liquid and water soluble fertilizer. Unless somebody shows me what is the secret in fish emulsion.

• lr4ten
    9 years ago

Since no one else has.....

That story sounds pretty fishy to me.

• sheltieche
    9 years ago

Ok, here is what my rule book says
    I prefer fish fertilizer that is done by cold press- this way there is more amino acids, enzymes etc saved. I like Neptune for this very reason.
    Unless you live at the ocean side and have plenty of fish carcasses washed on the beach, it is not a good idea to get fish heads into your garden under the plants.
    Foliar feeding is far more effective that traditional soil drench, it works wonders. Few things- it does not substitute great soil. It should be only used if the product specifically designated for foliar feed at much more diluted rate.
    Plants, including tomatoes, do need nitrogen, even more so after they are starting to produce fruits. Yes, it is fine to apply throughout the season. Catch is what else you are doing and adding.
    I follow and enjoy using system that Smiling gardener does, you can look up on the right side info on the ferts, including liquid fish

Here is a link that might be useful: Organic gardening

• brendabb65
    8 years ago

HI FOLKS, just like to comment on fish emulsion, 511 is not a great fert for tomatoes, just my opinion , in south they use that but up north i used 241 which i thought was better, BUT if u really love toms,u will try RABBIT MANURE AND RABBIT MANURE TEA, THAT IS BY FARRRRRR BETTER THAN FISH E , WANT PROOF COME TO GA LOOK ME UP IN JUNE U WILL SEE RECORD GROWING TOMS (PS IF WEATHER HOLDS) HAD A PLANT WITH 81 ONE LB AND MORE TOMS, the folks that saw my plants said never in there life saw so many toms on one plant, feed the soil have fun bob the happy gardener

• Seysonn_ 8a-NC/HZ-7
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Agree with Brenda.

A 5-1-1 ratio is not what recommended for tomatoes. It is too rich in N and too weak in P and K. Most recommended tomato fertilizers have close to 1-2-3 (NPK) or 1-1-2 ratio. In both cases the amount of K is 2 to 3 times as much as N. In Fish emulsion it is all in the way opposite side.

Here is what I have come up with (Say's brew)

I have/use MG liquid with 8 -4 -12 and Alaska MOREBLOOM 0 - 10 - 10.

Mix them @ 50/50 rate.

Now the average product has a 4 - 7 -11 analysis or roughly a 1 -2 - 3 ratio. IME it is the most desirable ratio for tomatoes. Plus it is cost effective, about $7 per 32oz. And also convenient to use.

Sey

• PRO
    TeaLAB
    8 years ago

Maybe use some in a compost tea. Beneficial Microbes love fish emulsion. see a couple videos of them at: www.composttealab.com

• maxjohnson
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

How to use fish emulsion:

Step one. Buy a racoon trap so it doesn't dig up your entire garden and stomp all over your strawberries.

• Seysonn_ 8a-NC/HZ-7
    8 years ago

How about using it where you wanted to be tilled ? hehe

• hummersteve
    7 years ago

For tomatoes why not mix the 511 mix with the morbloom 0-10-10 and get 5-11-11. But cut the mix in half on each.

• gorbelly
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

I use it to give the plants a boost when I plant out. Also, I have some new beds this year that have quite a bit of organic matter that's still breaking down and could tie up nitrogen, so I use very diluted fish fertilizer when I water to try to make up for that while the organic matter breaks down (this is in addition to tomato/veg fert, which I apply regularly once fruiting starts). So far, plants seem happy, no sign of nitrogen excess or deficiency, but it's still earlyish.

Because I just use tomato fertilizer on all my fruiting veg (just keeps thing simpler, fewer things to buy) I also use the fish fertilizer to supplement those plants that like a little more N than tomatoes.

The fish fertilizer is good for leaf veggies.

I don't foliar feed. I already do regular preventive spraying for fungal diseases and will spray if I have pest issues (thinking of adding a capsaicin product for squirrels and chipmunks), and too many things sprayed on the plants seems kind of silly, as it seems I'd constantly be washing off what I previously sprayed, etc., plus, more importantly, I'd spend ALL of my time spraying, which is not my favorite activity. Since I've never had problems with deficiencies when I apply fertilizer to ground/roots, I haven't yet felt a need to feed via foliage.

• hummersteve
    7 years ago

Seems to me there are advantages to both foliar and root/soil feeding. There are those that say "feed the soil not the plant" and others who say foliar feeding will work quicker. I will add this, I had a salvia plant return that became quite yellow green looking and needed something. I started foliar feeding with neptune once a week and I began to see the change in leaf color after just a couple feedings. Of course we know that there is more to foliar feeding than meets the eye. If done wrong or at the wrong time of day it is wasted effort , you might as well go count the grass blades. Plant leaves have pores called "stomata" [look it up} which are only open during the coolest time of day which is normally early morn, so that is the time to get it done. Most of the pores are located underneath the leaves although some are on top. Have a good day. :- )

• gorbelly
    7 years ago

I'm sure there may be instances when it's helpful or needed. I just haven't felt a need to do so because I haven't encountered any nutritional problems that couldn't be fixed quickly and easily through the roots, and I refuse to add something like foliar feeding to my routine just because it's an option. Not all options need to be or should be taken, IMO, and I already have a tendency to fuss a bit too much over my plants.

• Sydney Tyber
    7 years ago

Not sure where you are located, but I do large containers with lots of sun in Toronto, Canada. Regardless of massive weather shifts (30 degree over 24 hours) which bring different pests and unpredictable precipitation all summer, the fish emulsion keeps ALL my plants--eggplant, tomatoes, bougainvillea, etc...--happy, fruit-bearing, and pest-resistant. I soil drench once a week with 1 tsp fertilizer/0.5 gal water per large pot (we use litres here...). I have tried every other kind of fertilizer (organic and non-organic) and nothing works like this stuff. If your tomatoes are getting enough sun and water, you shouldn't have a problem getting fruit, despite the higher N in the fertilizer. Last year I was canning and giving away tomatoes and it was the only fertilizer I used.