Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What is the diagnosis and prognosis of my tomato plant.

Posted by RemoteDoc 9b (My Page) on
Tue, Jun 19, 12 at 15:20

Hello, I'm a first time grower, and like some, I started without reading anything and just planting away! Unfortunately it had its consequences. I live in zone 9B, Central Florida. I purchased some Early-Girl 50 Tomatoes at Lowes about a week ago (probably my first mistake). Now, on many of the leaves of the lower half, they have the spots seen in the following photos:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/icdq5revujo05te/2588XZvxkn?lst#/

After doing a little research, I sense that it could be some type of spot bacteria/fungi. My questions are: What is the diagnosis, treatment, and prognosis? Also, if there is another (only 1 fortunately) tomato plant right next to it, what are your recommendations?

Thanks for your help.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What is the diagnosis and prognosis of my tomato plant.

Not sure of the diagnosis, but you can just cut off the worst leaves and let it grow. Sometimes those are just sunburned spots. Tomatoes can still grow and produce fruit with some funky leaves. It's rare to have everything all perfect.

Here is a link that might be useful: What's Growing On?

o

o

Hi RemoteDoc,

I can't tell whether it's Early Blight or Septoria, but, in either case, I recommend you pick off (and throw away) all infected leaves. Then start a regular (once every 1-2 weeks) spraying program with Daconil (AKA Ortho Garden Disease Control, amongst other brands). This will not cure the disease, but will help keep it from spreading. Also, if your plants are not mulched, you should mulch them very soon. Both of these leaf diseases are very common. With care, your plants will survive and produce a good crop. Good luck!

o

Thanks for everyone's input. I have trimmed all leaves I thought were infected today. It looks greener and less infected, that's for sure, but it also looks more bare! :) I will keep an eye on it, and even getting some Daconil as mentioned. Thanks again for the help!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here