Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
njitgrad

tomato seed selections for next year?

njitgrad
10 years ago

Since my first year of growing tomatoes from seed has proved successful thus far, I am already starting to plant seeds in my head for expanding my production as well as my selection next season.

This year I germinated a 50/50 ratio of hybrids to heirlooms, all but one indeterminate. I wasn't sure how well my heirlooms would fare against disease, so I made sure I got a bunch of hybrids. Right now they all look very healthy and are starting to flower.

I welcome any suggestions to add to my "must-try" list for next season.

So far this season I've grown:

-Black Krim
-Pineapple Heirloom
-Abe Lincoln
-Black Zebra
-Chadwick Cherry
-Gardener's Delight Cherry
-Better Bush
-Better Boy
-Super Steak
-Independence Day Hybrid

Comments (8)

• tormato
    10 years ago

I'd start with Brandywine Sudduth. It's considered by many to be the benchmark for flavor.

• monet_g
    10 years ago

I recommend "Brandy Boy" as a must try. Developed by Burpee, it's a hybrid cross between Brandywine and Better Boy and holds the best characteristics of both parents. I've heard of more than one person say the flavor is like the tomatoes they had as child; the way a good tomato is supposed to taste. The seeds are only offered through Burpee on-line, but, if you order in the late summer/fall, they generally have several free shipping offers.

I'd also try Cherokee Purple (or one of the Cherokees) and the cherry Sunsugar (or Sungold).

*****Edited to correct spelling of name. Thanks, Dave.

This post was edited by monet_g on Thu, Jun 20, 13 at 9:10

• sjetski
    10 years ago

Fellow Jersey gardeners must try both Rutgers and Ramapo.

There's a good chance they'll end up on future grow lists as well.

Check the link below for a few more related ideas from a recent discussion.

Here is a link that might be useful: Recent discussion

• digdirt2
    10 years ago

"Brady Boy" is actually Brandy Boy.

Most Prolific Heirlooms discussion

Favorite grape and cherry

What is the best tasting?

Best red hybrid

On your current list I'd skip Independence, Super Steak, Better Bush, and Abe Lincoln for next year.

Dave

• kathyb912_in (5a/5b, Central IN)
    10 years ago

Just a heads up on your Chadwick's Cherry since I know your raised beds are fairly narrow -- I grew it last year and the plant got huge. Like up over the top of an 8' fence and down the other side huge. Very productive, too. If you get inundated with fruit the way I did, they freeze well for soup; just pop them whole into a bag. :)

• fcivish
    10 years ago

There are too many good tomatoes to mention. And every one will be different in your garden than in mine. Different growing conditions bring out different nuances in different places. But here are a few:

(Standard Hybrids with very good characteristics)
    Sungold
    Sweet 100
    Big Beef
    Big Boy
    Lemon Boy

(Some of my favorite Heirlooms and Open Pollinated)
    Black Cherry
    Isis Candy
    Rose Quartz (an OP stabilized version of Sweet Quartz)
    Jaune Flamme
    Green Zebra (best just as it ripens, not later)
    Red Brandywine
    Box Car Willie
    Mule Team
    Little Lucky
    Lucky Cross
    Eva Purple Ball
    Aunt Ruby's German Green
    Marianna's Peace
    Cherokee Chocolate
    Black Krim
    Italian Sweet
    Stump of the World

I could go on and on, but these are a few that I think you definitely should try.

As for concerns about disease, I don't give a second thought to tomato disease resistance. If I was a farmer, and my livelihood depended on the success of a crop, it might be different, but, even though I grow hundreds of tomatoes every year and have grown well over 1000 different types of tomatoes over the years, I have NEVER had disease kill a SINGLE PLANT. At the most, once in I while we might get something like Late Blight that is nothing more than a nuisance. Oh, and I plant my tomatoes in the same bed, in approximately the same places over and over, year after year. And, I always leave my plants lying dead in the garden through the Winter, and till them in during the Spring. Seems like I am tempting fate, but never had a problem yet.

This post was edited by fcivish on Thu, Jun 20, 13 at 1:30

• monet_g
    10 years ago

"Aunt Ruby's German Green" is an amazing tomato. I had a hard time getting past the "green when ripe" thing, but, delicious and different. Looks beautiful on a plate of sliced tomatoes of many colors.

• njitgrad
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for all the advice, including the ones to pass on next year (wish you would have told me this after the current growing season ends LOL).

I decided to start from seed a little too late so I didn't have time to do my homework and acquire any of the seeds recommended above. Most of the seed that I purchased was from local garden centers. The exceptions were the Black Zebra and Pineapple which were ordered from an online seed catalog.

At least next year I will definitely be prepared.

Sponsored
Castle Wood Carpentry, Inc
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County