Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Heirloom Brandywine Pink???

Posted by Mstorms2672 7 (My Page) on
Sun, Jun 8, 14 at 15:27

Hello! I'm new to GardenWeb so any help is gratefully appreciated. I purchased from Burpee a 4-pack of heirloom tomatoes, in addition to 2 other cherry tomatoes, 2 eggplants and 2 cherry peppers. The one pictured here was labeled Brandywine Pink. All of the plants are flourishing except this one. It's the shortest of all with large dark green leaves and has no sign of flowering. They were all planted during the last week in April.

If anyone can tell for sure what I'm growing I would truly appreciate it. Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Heirloom Brandywine Pink???

It's probably Brandywine, just as the label says. BW has potato-leafed foliage.

Linda

o

Yeah it has the potato shaped leaves of BWP but it doesn't look normal in color or appearance. I can't see any growing tip, just leaves, and they look too rugose for BWP.. Was it damaged in transit or since then? Does it have any sign of a growth tip?

Do all your other plants have such dark leaves?

Dave

o

Good question about the leaves Dave b/c to me they look almost look like spinach leaves. Something is cuasing thepleating of theleaves but with the picture shown they don't quite look rugose. at least to me,

If some folks here don't know the difference between the various kinds of leaves there's a good FAQ with pictures at the top of thepage that might help.

BTW the variety is called Brandywine,not Brandywine Pink and that's b'c the pink part is redundant since Branywine is pink' There are brandywines that are red, yellow and other colors and not all have PL foliage.

Carolyn

o

I went outside to look for a growth tip and I don't see one. The leaves and stem are sturdy, not wilted or discolored. I don't believe any damage occurred at all but I may have missed something.

o

Yeah I should have said rugose-like. Spinach is a good analogy for the appearance.

Too many things wrong with it for ever getting good production out of it even if it is a tomato. I'd pull it and replace it with a new tomato plant while it is still possible.

I'd also box it up and send it back to Burpee for a refund or at least call them and email them a picture of it. That may be enough to get the refund.

Dave

o

Just remember that just because the label says it is X varity does not mean it is, I have seen children pulling labels and the parents just replacing them in the closest pot. It can be a shooting match when purchasing potted plants.

o

That doesn't even look like a tomato to me, the leaves aren't pointed at the tips like even a PL would be not to mention the dark green color. What do the stems look like? One almost looks flat, looks like multiple stems coming out of the ground? Sorry, almost looks like chard to me, but dark green stalks not light or colored. Maybe a brassica?

Does it smell like a tomato plant when you brush against it?

o

Probably the stem has been broken off ? Or eaten by something. Why did you buy such a plant in the first place ?

Talking about Rugose-like leaves I have couple of PL plants that their leaves are like that : They are :
Bloody Butcher and Japanese Trifele Black. Maybe not as pronounce as the BW here.

o

I think the OP mentioned she ordered from Burpee rather than purchased at a nursury? @Seysonn, That would explain how she got a plant like that: she didn't select them herself. and @cetompkins, That would reduce the chance of a child label swap.

Burpee is a reputable supplier. If it arrived with no growth tip or if it is truly not a tomato (no smell from the leaves) They will probably give you a credit or refund.

JP

o

Thank you all for the assistance! I really appreciate it. I contacted Burpee and sentthe pic I posted via email. So far they have been very helpful. All other plants that I purchased are growing beyond expectations.

Just for future reference: @jonathanpassey - I'm a he not a she.

Thanks,
Mike

o

I'm still curious - does it smell like a tomato plant? Can we see s side view of the stem(s)? What did Burpee say?

o

Please let us know the outcome.

Linda

o

It has a very weak scent of tomato but I've never tried any PL varieties so I'm not sure if that is normal.

This is the best pic I have of the stems.

I'm waiting for Burpee to return my email, but i will definitely post the outcome. Thank you all!

o

It seems like the root system is not developing. I'm in N Va zone 7 and I purchased from a BBS Brandy Boy - supplied by Burbee and about 5" tall. I planted in the 1st week of May and Its now 4 ft tall. I also purchased BW from a local Nursery that was 4" tall and planted the 2nd week of May and Its about 35" tall. I'm sure Burbee will make it right.

o

Hey Mike.

I'm rally sorry about the mixup. I think i got this thread confused with another. I hope Burpee takes care of you; that is a weird looking tomato.

JP

o

No problem JP. I talked to Burpee today and was assured that I would get a response before Friday. Two of their horticulturists were out today but would be back tomorrow. Updates as they arrive!

o

I got an email from Burpee late last night that was an order receipt that said 'shipped' 1 Brandywine, Pink. It should arrive by the weekend for planting. Thank you all for helping!

o

But what did they originally send you? Did their horticulturists have an idea of what that plant is? Inquiring minds want to know ;-)!

o

Sorry for the wait but I still don't have all the answers. Burpee sent me a new brandywine, it arrived on Thursday and it was planted a few hours ago.

I called Burpee on Wednesday and asked if the horticulturist could tell what it was that I sent a picture of. They said I would get an email but I have yet to receive one.

When I dug up the defective plant the root system looked very strange to me. I took a pic just to show what I found.

o

The root is gnarly, but the stems don't look like tomato either. Maybe a turnip or daikon type radish (I think I see a larger root behind the tangle)?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here