Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
green toms, black flowers, other problems

Posted by novice_2009 zone 6b (My Page) on
Thu, Jun 24, 10 at 15:31

I planted several tomato plants, too close I know realize!
It's amazing how big they can get. Several cherry, and a few crimson sprinters(do well in cool wx) and a few I got from the store.
All have green toms on them, not ripening. They are slightly crowded, maybe not getting enough sun? Is it possible to trim (prune) leaves without harming the plant?
Also, temps have been in upper 90s here, and I've noticed the yellow flowers turning brownish black instead of producing fruit.
Some dry, curly lower leafs, and a few yellow lower leaves.
Can anyone give me any advice?
Thanks!!!!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: green toms, black flowers, other problems

Here's my advice. Care for them as normal, because they are acting normally to unfavorable conditions.

It's too hot for the plants, and they don't like it, and they are dropping flowers because they can't pollinate reliably above 95 degrees. The dry curly leaves are most likely also due to the extreme heat. The leaf curl is most likely what they call tomato "physiological leaf roll" and is a response to some sort of stress - like you would see from high temps, amongst other things.

When the temps drop back into the 70s-80s, they will go back to their normal productive selves and begin setting fruit and ripening fruit as usual.

o

Thanks!!!! I knew the heat was an issue. You are right.

o

Thank you so much, person who asked and person who answered this! My tomato plants are doing the exact same thing: curly leaves, blackened flowers and a few green tomatoes. But it's also hot as balls here so now it all makes sense!

Here is a link that might be useful: Please Check My Comedy Website!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here