Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lgteacher

Mystery tomato

lgteacher
11 years ago

Does anyone know what type of tomato this is? It was supposed to be Lemon Boy, but it is quite orange compared to the lemon boys I had previously, and it's not as tasty. I placed it next to a lemon for color reference. The tomato is about 4 oz. The lemon is rather large.

Here is a link that might be useful: My tomatoes

Comments (11)

• digdirt2
    11 years ago

Sorry but I have to tell you the same we tell everyone whenever this question comes up - it is impossible to do.

Your orange oxheart shaped fruit could be any one of 25 different varieties, maybe more if it is the result of some crossed seed.

I can tell you that it isn't a cherry variety since it is too large and probably isn't Lemon Boy since both the shape and the color is off. Then again growing conditions can often affect both size and color, especially in early fruit.

Is the plant regular leaf, potato leaf or rugose?

Dave

• lgteacher
    Original Author
    11 years ago

It is a regular leaf tomato, vigorous grower, indeterminate, and has lots of fruit. It is not very seedy inside.

I bought it from a reputable nursery, and the tomato in the photo is the first to ripen. I realize sometimes things are mislabeled. I was hoping that someone might recognize it as something they were growing.

• missingtheobvious
    11 years ago

It may well be a cross: one Lemon Boy parent, one non-Lemon Boy parent: in other words, a never-before-seen, unique variety.

However, if it's a cross, it's almost certainly not stable, so if you saved seeds and planted several, likely none of them would be halfway close to Lemon Boy -- or even close to this one ... what do you want to call it? Can't call it Orange Strawberry, as there's already a tomato with that name, and your fruit is too small to be one of those, plus apparently they're a lot better-tasting.
    Orange Strawberry

The mistake is probably not the nursery's. Besides the possibility of a cross, it could be that the nursery bought a packet of seeds that included a miscellaneous seed of another variety which got stuck in the machine that filled seed packets.

• ReedBaize
    11 years ago

It COULD be an Orange Strawberry. They're supposed to be great tasting but you said this was the first fruit to ripen. In my experience you can't judge a tomato plant by the first fruit.

• lgteacher
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you for all the information. This plant is getting huge, and it's only the middle of June. It has a ton of fruit, so I hope the taste improves a little. It's not bad, just not as tasty as the tomatoes from my other plants.

• mewhee
    11 years ago

Orange Boy ?

• digdirt2
    11 years ago

I was hoping that someone might recognize it as something they were growing.

That would be nice wouldn't it? Unfortunately it can't work simply because there are so many varieties it could be. So even if someone said that looks exactly like my Prairie Fire tomato that still wouldn't mean that is what it is.

Most simply don't realize how many thousands and thousands of different varieties of tomatoes there are. And that is without even bring the cross pollination odds or the growing conditions issues into the mix.

Browse through Tatiana's Tomato base for an inkling of the problem. There are 100's of orange, a thousand yellow/gold/orange, 100's of heart shaped, pages and pages of orange/gold heart shaped, etc.

If it was potato leaf it could be narrowed down to 25-50 possibilities. But beyond that you'll never know for sure. As long as you don't save and trade seeds, you can call it whatever you wish.

Dave

• claydirt
    11 years ago

"I bought it from a reputable nursery"

Perhaps you could go back to the nursery and see what other types of tomato plants they are selling this year? It may be one of these. Stuff happens.

• Bets
    11 years ago

Clay said "Stuff happens." Yes indeed it does.

Earlier this spring, I was browsing in one of our local "reputable nurseries" and saw two *ahem* children, (said with a great deal of disdain) each with a fist full of plant tags happily pulling up more tags. Not a parent in sight. I told them to stop (I am a very mean looking Granma when I want to be!) and made them give the tags to me and go find their parents and tell them they did a bad thing.

Then I found a nursery worker and turned the tags over to her. Fortunately, this nursery is large enough and it was early enough that each 4 by 8 foot table was a single variety and it didn't look as though the "little darlings" were moving any of the cell packs, just collecting the pretty tags.

I took my plants from the center of the tables beyond the reach of the unsupervised ankle biters.

Betsy

• digdirt2
    11 years ago

WTG! Betsy. Kudos to you for intervening.

Dave

• dickiefickle
    11 years ago

Branscomb Orange or pehaps Persimmon ?

Sponsored
Custom Home Works
Average rating: 4.6 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
Franklin County's Award-Winning Design, Build and Remodeling Expert