Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rhyu

Do cherry types grow faster than slicers?

Rhyu
9 years ago

I've grown tomatoes for a few years now, but have mostly stuck to cherry varieties since I live in the PNW in an area that tends to have cool, wet summers and figured the faster maturing, smaller fruit, would be better suited to the area. Last year I decided to just say screw it, and tried growing a Brandywine as an experiment since there were so many rave reviews on it.

It was a very...dwarf...plant, it probably got no larger than 2-3 feet (while my cherries, especially ones like sungold, were some 8-10+ feet tall), though it did manage to set fruit (around 10) and kinda ripened them (it would have fully ripened if it wasn't for an infuriating rat that would chew off the sides of the fruit as it started to ripen, and then steal the whole thing while it was starting to color-up), so I ultimately only got to taste a single fruit that i wasn't worried about getting some horrible disease from.

I wasn't sure if I had an off plant, if it had become too root bound prior to planting (it was also grafted), if the pot was just too small (most of my tomatoes are in around ~4 gallon pots, I'd like to up size a bit, but they have worked so far), the weather was problematic, etc.

So in addition to my cherries this year, I bought an additional 4 15 gallon fabric pots which each have a full size tomato (pineapple, black from tula, fantastic, and csikos botermo) in them.

My plants have been out for almost a month now, my cherries are going great so far, some over 4 feet and starting to flower, but all of my full sizes are still relatively short (I did plant them deeper given the depth of their pots, but the amount the top has grown is far less), though they are getting bushier. Is this normal for the larger tomatoes (fruit size, not indeterminate vs. determinate) to start slower, am I missing something, or am I just always going to get shrimpy "full size" tomato plants?

For anyone curious my cherries are Sungold F1, Golden Honey Bunch (both grown before, great varieties), and new for this year Sweet 100, Super Sweet 100 (accidental semi-repeat, guess they can face off), husky cherry, pink vernisage, some tumbling toms for the heck of it (I had some empty hanging baskets, and the plants were 99 cents) and some mystery red cherries that I started from seed from a bonus seed packet from ordering online simply labeled "cherry, red, large" which I guess means its indeterminate.

So TL;DR why are my full size slicer tomatoes growing so much slower than my cherries? At least the Csikos Botermo is supposed to be a cooler weather one too.

Thanks, hope people's gardens are coming along well!

Comments (3)